[comp.sys.mac] Mac Excell and Filemaker Plus !

yao@puff.UUCP (02/26/87)

I am looking into database for the MAC, and was considering EXCEL and
Filemaker+, which is better ?

Application mainly in the areas of Journal Reprints Cataloging. Help in
the preparing of manuscript so that this Entries could be pasted onto
a Word Processor like MacWrite !

chuq@plaid.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <526@puff.WISC.EDU> yao@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao Lee Raymond) writes:

>I am looking into database for the MAC, and was considering EXCEL and
>Filemaker+, which is better ?

I've been using FileMaker Plus for about a month and a half after upgrading
from Microsoft File in their orphan support program.  It isn't perfect, but
it is really quite good.  You can get it for about $160 at Computerware, so
it isn't expensive (if you own an 'orphaned' database, you can buy it from
the company for $125 -- see the ads in the Mac magazines for details).

I've put some pretty non-trivial stuff into it -- my mailing lists for
OtherRealms (it handles laserwriter mailing labels, three wide, with its
eyes closed), I've been building a review index for OtherRealms with it, and
I'm working on a simple accounting database to help me prove to the IRS that
I did have all those neat deductions....

So far, I've bumped on some rough edges and a couple of things I'd like to
see but don't exist (yet), but no bugs and no serious functionality
problems.  I'm really pretty happy with it, and can recommend it to anyone
who doesn't need a relational database.  The documentation, by the way, is
wonderful -- one of the best technical documents I've seen in the Mac world
(although I'm just starting to look at Word 3.0....)

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity