[comp.sys.mac] Coral Object Logo

mdc@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <1725@PUCC.BITNET> 6065833@PUCC.BITNET writes:
> Can anyone recommend another LOGO for the macintosh?  Has anyone found
> a way to print graphics windows on >a laserwriter?  Any information
> would be greatly appreciated.

Object Logo from Coral Software in Cambridge, Mass is a good value.
It is about $80 and has loads of features, Comes with Finder 5.3 and
system 3.2, lots of examples, a good reference manual, and is
supported by a solid bunch of hackers (I know some of them).

They have an ad in this month's MACWORLD, with ordering info.

I've used it, and I recommend it highly.  I hope some schools pick up
on it and use it.

eddings@bgsuvax.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <4794@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, mdc@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:
> In article <1725@PUCC.BITNET> 6065833@PUCC.BITNET writes:
> > Can anyone recommend another LOGO for the macintosh?  Has anyone found
> > a way to print graphics windows on >a laserwriter?  Any information
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> Object Logo from Coral Software in Cambridge, Mass is a good value.
> It is about $80 and has loads of features, Comes with Finder 5.3 and
> system 3.2, lots of examples, a good reference manual, and is
> supported by a solid bunch of hackers (I know some of them).
> They have an ad in this month's MACWORLD, with ordering info.

Below you will find a copy of a text upload that I found while prowling around
GEnie, the General Electric network for information exchange.  With the recent
mention on the net of ObjectLogo for the Mac, and the rise in object oriented
programming for the Mac in general, I thought I'd pass this on.

Begin quoted text from a GEnie upload

Your Chance for a Free Dance With the Prettiest Turtle in Town:
The Great ObjectLogo Giveaway.

ObjectLogo is a new programming language from Coral Software.  With ObjectLogo
anyone can create complex Macintosh programs in minutes.  Mac programming
isn't just for experts anymore!

At $79.95, ObjectLogo is already a great deal.  But we want to make it an even
better deal.  We're giving copies away.  If you want a chance to win a copy of
ObjectLogo, just write your name and address on a piece of paper, and get it
to us by March 20, 1987.  The address is:

  ObjectLogo Giveaway
  Coral Software
  P.O. Box 307
  Cambridge, MA 02142

About ObjectLogo:

ObjectLogo combines the gentle learning environment of Logo with the power of
Lisp.  Instructions and procedures can be immediately compiled to 68000 code
or edited in file windows.  Debugging aids include a watcher (for monitoring
variable values), stepper, and tracer.

ObjectLogo includes the most advanced object oriented programming system on
the Macintosh.  Windows, menus, editors, disk and serial I/O, and (of course)
turtles are implemented as customizable objects, making Macintosh programming
easier than in any other language.

The ObjectLogo math package allows free mixing of unlimited size integers,
fractions, complex numbers, and floating point numbers.

Complete Quickdraw access is available through error-checked calls.

Direct Toolbox access is available through low-level calls.

For information and orders, write or call:
Coral Software, P.O. box 307, Cambridge, MA 02142
(800)-521-1027.  In Massachusetts (617) 547-2662

small print:  No purchase is necessary.  Only one entry per envelope.  Drawing
will be held on March 21, 1987.  Ten copies of ObjectLogo  will be awarded.
Complete rules may be obtained from Coral Software at the address given above.
Of course, Macintosh is a trademark licensed to Apple Computer, inc.
ObjectLogo is a trademark of yours truly, Coral Software.
End quoted material

Disclaimer; I have no connection with Coral Software, and am providing
the information as a service, and a chance at free prize.

      Ken Eddings                    CSNET: eddings@bgsu.edu
      Department of Philosophy     ARPANET: eddings%bgsu.csnet@csnet-relay
      Bowling Green State Univ.       UUCP: cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!eddings
      Bowling Green OH 43403           ATT: 419-372-2680
				     GEnie: K.EDDINGS

	"The prudent mariner never relies solely on any single aid
	 to navigation."                 -=Old Mariner's Proverb=-

rickers@drexel.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <4794@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, mdc@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) writes:
> In article <1725@PUCC.BITNET> 6065833@PUCC.BITNET writes:
> > Can anyone recommend another LOGO for the macintosh?  Has anyone found
> > a way to print graphics windows on >a laserwriter?  Any information
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> Object Logo from Coral Software in Cambridge, Mass is a good value.
> It is about $80 and has loads of features, Comes with Finder 5.3 and
> system 3.2, lots of examples, a good reference manual, and is
> supported by a solid bunch of hackers (I know some of them).
> They have an ad in this month's MACWORLD, with ordering info.

I have received a copy of Object Logo from Coral Software a week or so
ago and have found it to be quite an interesting product.  I have been
interested in Object Oriented Programming for the last two years and
have found the time spent learning Object Logo to be worthwhile.  At
one point I had spent a lot of time playing with Logo, and had used
this experience when I was fiddling around with Object Logo.

Some conclusions that I have drawn from using Object Logo:

    1) Let's talk about the manual first...
        - Huge!  Mainly a reference to the language.
        - Assumes an understanding of Logo and Object Oriented ideas.
        - Awkward format.  Elongated (Yuck).  Bars which mark
          additions to the language are always on the right hand side of
          the page and are hard to see on the left sided pages.

    2) The program...
        - Tends to be slow, but so does Logo.
        - Adheres nicely to other Logos.
        - Environment is pseudo-multitasking.
        - Easy to edit work.
        - Multiple editing windows allowed.
        - Garbage collection seems to happen to often (depending on
          program usage) with a large workspace (can be slow!
          a few seconds average).

    3) The language...
        - Very similar to other Logos (already said)
        - Very nice O-O concepts added!  An Object-Oriented Language
        does not necessarily have to be like all the others, and this
        one is not.  It does feature a lot of O-O ideas, more than
        other OOPLS on the mac.  To name a few:
            = Inheritance (multiple!!!!!!)
            = Different types of binding (static & dynamic)
            = run time messaging
            = a wierd sence of data encapsulation (make an object the
              current object and all methods are those of that object).
            = garbage collection (could, and should) be considered for
              an OOPL
            = compiled & interpreted language.  after compiling the
              definition, results can be seen immediately.

    4) Overall impression...
        What a fantastic way of learning about Object Oriented
        programming.  I has features that many other so-called
        object-oriented languages do not have (major one is multiple
        inheritence).  Plus Logo is a wonderful way of first learning
        to program.  Logo can be used to teach children fundamentals
        of programming, while O-O Logo can be used to teach mom/dad
        fundamentals of object-oriented programming.  Okay, it may be
        a bit slow, but it feels good to be able to enter a definition
        and see the results fast.  A good interactive environment.
        Object Logo does not provide a large class of objects to work
        with, but there are enough to get started.  It has a good
        approach to using some Macintosh features such as windows and
        menus.  I wouldn't write a heavy-duty application in Object
        Logo, but it is a great learning tool.  I am teaching a class
        on Object-Oriented programming and I will definitely use
        Object Logo as a way of teaching multiple inheritance.  As a
        learning tool, Object Logo is fantastic!  As a plain vanilla
        Logo, again Object Logo is fantastic! (compared to other
        Logos, not necessarily on the Mac).  But for an application
        development language or prototyping language, it won't compare
        too well against other languages.

                                            Rickers

gus@Shasta.UUCP (02/26/87)

I bought Object logo at the MacWorld expo in SF earlier this year and I have
my own impressions of the language.

I had always heard that multiple inheritance was screwy. NOW I KNOW SO! The
Object Oriented Logo manual explains it fairly well. I would like to hear
from people who have programmed extensively with multiple inheritance and
get their thoughts as to whether and how it should be used. I can just see
so many strange things happening as the class graph becomes larger that I
find it hard to believe that this system is workable for anything but a
limited set of examples.

Logo shares a trait with FORTH, LISP, and SMALLTALK in that is almost
entirely vocabulary based. There are hundreds of LOGO words, and many of
them are not self explanatory. Each one has a large amount of semantics
behind it. This makes programs hard to read unless you are familiar with the
entire language. I much prefer languages which are more syntax based, where
some of the syntax of the language can help you along to format and
understand the code. Has anyone seen discussions about this topic?

When I sat down with Coral logo, I immediately saw the LISP-like engine that
was behind all of this. I expected it to behave somewhat like other LISPs
that I have worked with before. I found out, however, that one thing was
different - either Object Logo is entirely written in some lower level
language, or there is a non user accessible flag which prevents you from
seeing the definitions of some of the higher level LOGO words like you often
can in LISP. The only thing that you CAN see are the words you you put in,
or those that were in a system startup file. There are many - especially the
ones that handle windows, files, and streams - that I would like to look at,
especially to get a better Idea of how a read multiple inheritance class
hierarchy works.

Has anyone done some interesting programs - especially some that use
multiple inheritance - in Object Logo? I would be interested in looking at
them. The examples on the disk leave a bit to be desired.

							Gus Fernandez

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (02/27/87)

Object Logo is not screwy because of multiple inheritance.
Object Logo is screwy because it's an instance-based inheritance.

Most o-o languages define classes (types in Object Pascal) of objects with
similar variables, procedures ("behaviors"), etc.  A few languages
make each object unique.  I don't have Object Logo, but Kurt Schmucker
in his book notes that Object Logo is this way (and he confirmed this
when I talked to him at Macworld about o-o languages in general.)

A good example of multiple inheritance I've heard used is the window.
A window is an object that's part of a list, and it's something visual
(like a QD grafport).  Or maybe you have bitmap objects, and you also
have displayed bitmap objects that inherit both the bitmap stuff and
the property of being in a display list.

Multiple inheritance is pretty rare, mostly for implementation reasons,
so there aren't a lot of good examples out there.