[comp.sys.mac] New Shutdown

fry@huma1.UUCP (03/04/87)

What's the difference between "Restart" and "Shutdown" in the
new Finder 5.4?  When I select Shutdown on my MacPlus with
WhisperDrive SCSI drive, I get crashed back to Macsbug, but
typing "RB" there causes an instanteous reboot, as though the
Shutdown process worked.  Selecting Restart causes a near
instanteous reboot that is preceeded by a half second "whirr"
from my drive

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry

dwb@well.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <1337@husc6.UUCP> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:

>What's the difference between "Restart" and "Shutdown" in the
>new Finder 5.4?  When I select Shutdown on my MacPlus with
>WhisperDrive SCSI drive, I get crashed back to Macsbug, but
>typing "RB" there causes an instanteous reboot, as though the
>Shutdown process worked.  Selecting Restart causes a near
>instanteous reboot that is preceeded by a half second "whirr"
>from my drive

	Restart does what "Shutdown" used to do.  Sync's everything
up and goes through the reboot procedure.  It doesn't, however,
redo the diagnostics so it happens much quicker.

	Shutdown issues a new System Error number to [possibly
sync the disks, this may get done before the error is issued]
display a dialog that says you can safely turn things off.  Avoids
the question that we heard so often not so long ago "when can I
turn my disk off?"  (Not to mention endless arguments about
same.)  Unfortunately the older ROM's don't understand the
error message and give you the standard default bomb.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/04/87)

ReBoot is the same as the old ShutDown.  ShutDown unmounts the volumes
and then puts up an alert saying, basically, 'ok, you can turn it
off now', preventing the Mac from rebooting beforeyou can
find the power switch.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

dgold@apple.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <1337@husc6.UUCP> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:
>What's the difference between "Restart" and "Shutdown" in the
>new Finder 5.4?  When I select Shutdown on my MacPlus with
>WhisperDrive SCSI drive, I get crashed back to Macsbug...

This is probably because you did not install the new system software
properly.  The "Shutdown" feature requires System 4.0 or later to
operate correctly; on previous systems, only the single menu entry
"Shutdown" should appear, which acts the way it used to.
With System 4.0, there are two menu entries:  Restart and ShutDown.
Restart acts like the old ShutDown command.  ShutDown does everything
the Restart command does, except that instead of restarting the machine
it blacks the screen and puts up an alert saying "You may now power
off the computer safely." (with a Restart button in case you really
meant restart).  This is so you don't have to race with the Mac to turn
it off before it starts to reboot.

On the Macintosh II and Macintosh XL, Restart restarts the machine and
ShutDown turns the power off.

If you're crashing when you select restart it's probably because you
only partially installed the system software and not all of the resources
the ShutDown command needs are present.  Use the Installer or replace
your System File with System 4.0 or later.

--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

dgold@apple.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <2698@well.UUCP> dwb@well.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
>	Shutdown issues a new System Error number...
>...Unfortunately the older ROM's don't understand the
>error message and give you the standard default bomb.

New ROMs are not required; everything needed for Shut Down is
in the System File.  If you have System 4.0 or later, Shut Down will
work on any Macintosh (on the XL and on the Macintosh II, it turns
the power off instead of putting up the alert).

--

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <1337@husc6.UUCP> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:
>What's the difference between "Restart" and "Shutdown" in the
>new Finder 5.4?  When I select Shutdown on my MacPlus with
>WhisperDrive SCSI drive, I get crashed back to Macsbug, but
>typing "RB" there causes an instanteous reboot, as though the
>Shutdown process worked.  Selecting Restart causes a near
>instanteous reboot that is preceeded by a half second "whirr"
>from my drive

The difference is apparent when you play with one of the newly-released
Mac 2 machines.  The option "Restart" causes the Mac 2 to restart; ie,
do the "shutdown" that we are all used to on the older Macs.  The option
"Shutdown" now not only shuts down the computer but actually turns it off.

The Mac 2 has soft power-on and power-off.  To power the machine off,
you either (1) use the "Shutdown" option, or (2) pull the plug.

Damned Apple; if they'd only learned the lesson of the Lisa, and came
up with a way to turn the machine off without pulling the plug when
the machine crashes so horribly that the Finder won't run.  Well, when
I get my own Mac 2 (in a few years, when they start shipping to
Universities), I'm putting it on a power strip.  That way when the
machine hopelessly crashes, I can turn it off easily without getting up.

I'm supprised that Finder 5.4 presented the "Restart"/"Shutdown" options
on a Mac+, but I never tried.  On my Mac512K with the HD20 startup file,
Finder 5.4 only presents "Shutdown", which does the "Shutdown" we're
all familiar with.
- William Woody                          Mac! > ][n && /|\
  woody@tybalt.caltech.edu
  woody@juliet.caltech.edu