[comp.sys.mac] MacXL WD2001 Use

outer@utcsri.UUCP (Richard Outerbridge) (03/02/87)

The MacXL (nee LISA) I/O board has an empty, unsocketed spot labelled "WD2001"
on it.  Now "WD2001" is the name of a Western Digital DES chip; Apple Canada
can tell me that the technical literature refers to the chip as a 2Mhz
"arithmetic processor", and that requests to California for more information
are met with the response "no information available".  Given the current
atmosphere of paranoia rampant throughout the U.S. cryptologic atmosphere
this in itself isn't too surprising.  Does anyone know, if the board >had<
a 2Mhz WD2001 plugged into it, how you'd get at it?
--
Richard Outerbridge	<outer@utcsri.UUCP>	 (416) 961-4757
Payload Deliveries:	N 43 39'36", W 79 23'42", Elev. 106.47m.

dgold@apple.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <4269@utcsri.UUCP> outer@utcsri.UUCP (Richard Outerbridge) writes:
>The MacXL I/O board has an empty, unsocketed spot labelled "WD2001"
The socket was for a floating point arithmetic coprocessor, not a DES chip.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (03/06/87)

In article <512@apple.UUCP> dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
>In article <4269@utcsri.UUCP> outer@utcsri.UUCP (Richard Outerbridge) writes:
>>The MacXL I/O board has an empty, unsocketed spot labelled "WD2001"
>The socket was for a floating point arithmetic coprocessor, not a DES chip.

According to documents that Apple sent me at the time, the floating point
co-processor chip that goes in that socket actually runs slower than doing
the floating point in 68000 machine language!