[comp.sys.mac] Systems/Finder combinations to be used with which Macs

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (03/03/87)

Just got the latest APDA newsletter -- arrived to announce what they were
providing for the Mac II on the day it's announced.  Nice!  One of the nice
side features is a chart showing the current and projected versions of
System/Finder combinations, and which Macs should use which.  Wish someone
had done that a LONG time ago.

Below is a brief summary:

Mac 128K:  Use ONLY System 2.0/Finder 4.1.  Forever.  Can you say "Life in
	   Hell"?

Mac 512K, 512KE and Mac+:
	   For now, use System 3.2/Finder 5.3, unless you're using
	   AppleShare -- then use System 3.3/Finder 5.4 (which just came
	   out, I believe).

	   When the Mac II comes out, the System 4.1/Finder 5.5 combination
	   will come out -- at which time all 512K, 512KE and Mac+ people
	   should upgrade.

Mac SE:	   They should use System 4.0/Finder 5.4 (just released), and
	   upgrade to System 4.1/Finder 5.5 when the Mac II comes out.

Mac II:	   System 4.1/Finder 5.5.

Just as a recap: 3.2/5.3 is the one that came out in June of last year.
3.3/5.4 just came out a few weeks ago.  4.0/5.4 has been released for SE
owners.  And 4.1/5.5 is aiming to be the watershed versions for the next
year or two.  Of course, this is ignoring the potential for bugs... but that
could NEVER happen, right? :-)

By the way, even though I don't have AppleShare on my +, I switched to
3.3/5.4, and admit that I like the new Finder a lot.  It seems to be
working well with my Dataframe 20; no complaints.

                                "How the hell do I know why there are Nazis?
                                 I don't know why the can opener works."
                                                -- Hannah and Her Sisters

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

marcus@weyl.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/03/87)

_______________________________flame on_____________________________
	Also in the aformentioned APDA newsletter was a note pointing
	out some serious bugs in MPW & MPW C 1.0.1. Apparently the
	standard library routines trash certain low memory addresses
	which intersect exception vectors. I was rather dismayed to
	find that the sample MPW C application provided crashed when
	one tries to quit if there's a DA window open! And this was
	supposed to be the 'release' version of the software. What
	really gets me is that they want another $20 bucks to send
	the fixed version 1.0.2, since I just received 1.0.1 two
	weeks ago. By the way, does anyone know the cause of this
	'Quit' bug ?
	_______________________flame off_____________________________
	mat marcus
	ucbvax!brahms!marcus
	marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <509@colossus.tc.fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> [quote from APDA newsletter on System/Finder combinations]
>
>Mac 512K, 512KE and Mac+:
>	   For now, use System 3.2/Finder 5.3, unless you're using
>	   AppleShare -- then use System 3.3/Finder 5.4 (which just came
>	   out, I believe).

I just downloaded System 4.0 and Finder 5.4 from Compu$erve, and they
seem to be working just fine on my Hyperdriven Plus.  I'd never seen
System 3.3 -- hope I didn't miss anything. :-)  The 4.0/5.4 combination
was posted to Compu$erve yesterday -- look in MACPRO, DL1 if you're
interested and can't bribe your local dealer into giving it to you. :-)

"Oh, where, oh where is my Microsoft Word?"
--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Palo Alto, CA
Internet:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
		msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (03/04/87)

Anyone who followed my previous posting (?) is probably confused.  So
was I.  I downloaded the 4.0/5.4 combination from GEnie, not Compu$erve
(I'd been on both services last night).  Mea culpa,...
--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Palo Alto, CA
Internet:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
Usenet: ...!{decvax,decwrl,harvard,seismo,sdcsvax,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!
		msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

zabetia@tiger.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (03/08/87)

What combination should I use with Mac XLs??  Don't tell me I'm in the same
boat as 128K Macs(life in Hell).

--
Mahboud Zabetian		allegra! --\	zabetia@tiger.princeton.edu
232 Pyne Hall			mhuxi! -----\		(609) 452-2285