[comp.sys.mac] Any tricks to get mac to read AMIGA disks?

rburns@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Randy Burns) (03/07/87)

Is there any way to get a mac to read a disk produced on an AMIGA? A
friend of mine is writing a program and it would be very useful for him
to have this kind of data transfer. I know the two disk formats are
completely different. I thought there my be some trick one could use,
this might involve writing the data on the amiga redundantly. It would
be ok if additional software was required on the Mac end.

beilke@puff.UUCP (03/09/87)

In article <10445@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, rburns@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Randy Burns) writes:
> Is there any way to get a mac to read a disk produced on an AMIGA? A
> friend of mine is writing a program and it would be very useful for him
> to have this kind of data transfer. I know the two disk formats are
> completely different. I thought there my be some trick one could use,
> this might involve writing the data on the amiga redundantly. It would
> be ok if additional software was required on the Mac end.

   I don't know if the Mac can read Amiga disks, but the Amiga can read

Mac disks.  For information look at the GO AMIGA product list in

_AMIGA World_.  BTW, I can't remember what the program is called, or if

it is shipping yet.  Just thought I'd mention it.

   //  Matt Beilke
\\//   {hplabs, seismo, caip, etc}!uwvax!puff!beilke

nicholso@hpesoc1.UUCP (03/10/87)

The Amiga hardware is capable of reading and writing Apple II and
Macintosh formatted disks.  Whether or not any software exists
that allows this to be done, I don't know.  I doubt that it is
possible for a Mac with an IWM to read an Amiga formatted disk.

The IWM has a GCR data separator that looks for a sync bit every
byte.  This throws away timing information that would occur in an
MFM or RLL encoded data stream.  About five years ago I remember
seeing an article on reading Atari 800 disks with an Apple II.
As I recall some of this timing information might be recoverable
statisically, but not with certainty.

It is highly probable that appropriate magic software would allow
a Mac with an IWM to write an Amiga formatted disk.

Anyone know what the new Macs use for the disk controller?

					Ron Nicholson
					..hplabs!hpda!nicholso

	If the Mac disk controller has the ability to read raw transitions,
I don't see why you couldn't read an Amiga disk.  Amiga disks are standard
MFM encoded, but since the Amiga track buffers disk I/O, it doesn't
need to put any spacing between sectors and can squeeze an extra sector on
each track. (this is why Amiga disks are 880K and Mac/Ibm disks are 800K).

					-Matt