[comp.sys.mac] Master Directory Block Trashing

mp1w#@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger) (03/09/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.mac@andrew.cmu.edu (Outbound News)

I have an 800K HFS disk on which the Master Directory block is trashed.
(at least according to FEdit 3.7+)  I scanned the entire disk and got
no media errors, so I can only assume that its contents are trashed,
and that the files are still intact.

Is there any way to (manually or otherwise) reconstruct the blocks,
since the finder won't even recognize the disk as more than a frisbee
without them.  Does the commercially available FEdit+ hnadle HFS
recontructions?  Any other hints appreciated.

Also, the old (pre HFS) FEdit documentation had a beautiful section
dealing with MFS disk format, which tracks were what, where the
directory lived, etc.  Is there anything similar for HFS?  I checked
for Tech Notes dealing with the subject and didn't find any.  This
might help me to manually redo the disk.

				Marc Pawliger
				mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu
				mp1w@cmuccvma.bitnet

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (03/10/87)

In article <542237269.1056.mp1w.knox.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu>, mp1w#@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger) writes:
> I have an 800K HFS disk on which the Master Directory block is trashed.
> (at least according to FEdit 3.7+)  I scanned the entire disk and got
> no media errors, so I can only assume that its contents are trashed,
> Is there any way to (manually or otherwise) reconstruct the blocks,
> since the finder won't even recognize the disk as more than a frisbee
> without them.  Does the commercially available FEdit+ hnadle HFS
> might help me to manually redo the disk.

You might try using Disk First Aid to recover that disk, or you might
try using Copy II Mac in sector copy to recover the files from the damaged
disk, this has worked for me before on disks that could not be read...

I hope this works for you I know that losind data is a pain....backups...
are important...with valuable data...

           Norman Goodger @Bridge Communications    !bridge2!ngg
           (415) 969 4400 Ex:445       Sysop-MACINFO BBS @415-795-8862