[comp.sys.mac] Disk Repairs

daveg@dartvax.UUCP (Dave Green) (03/08/87)

In the near future,  I will be responsible for repairing mac disks
for a large number of macintosh users(the dartmouth college community).
I have done such work before,but I have been away from the trade for
about 3 months.  What I amlooking for is pointers to users favorite
software to perform such tasks.  I am familiar Fedit, Mactools,
First Aid, and we have a small utility (I believe shareware)
named FileFixer.  Are there any others of importance?

I am also looking people who are interested in disk repair and are
willing to share experiences they have had.  I have learned most
of what I know by myself and would be interested to compare/contrast
methods with people who have had repair experience.  Is there anyone
out there who has been doing this stuff on a regular basis?

Finally,  I am searching for documentation on file formats for various
word processing packages.  Formats for MacWrite, Word, and WriteNow
would seem most important as the user group I am supporting relies
heavily upon these packages.(and trashes them regularly)

In General any information/conversation upon the subject is more
than welcome.  I would also be glad to share what I already know
with other users in the net.

					Thanks much,
						Dave Green
						Dartmouth College
						Hanover,NH
daveg@dartmouth.CSNET
daveg@dartvax.uucp
daveg@dartmouth.EDU
daveg%dartvax@dartcms1		{Bitnet}

dennisg@fritz.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <5792@dartvax.UUCP> daveg@dartvax.UUCP (Dave Green) writes:
>In the near future,  I will be responsible for repairing mac disks
>for a large number of macintosh users(the dartmouth college community).
>I have done such work before,but I have been away from the trade for
>about 3 months.  What I amlooking for is pointers to users favorite
>software to perform such tasks.  I am familiar Fedit, Mactools,
>First Aid, and we have a small utility (I believe shareware)
>named FileFixer.  Are there any others of importance?

A couple of weeks ago, I went begging to the net for advice on fixing
a particular broken disk.  I promised to post the results.

Response has been good, but not stunning.  Those who have replied were
helpful, and two sent me software to help out.

I intend to wait about another week, to allow time for long propagation
delay and some experimentation.  Then I'll post the summary, and
the best of the software.

Hang in there.