[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder Vers. 10.0

solderit@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) (03/15/87)

Macworld (April 87) ran an article extolling the virtues of RR
version 10.0. Has the ymodem protocol, among other improvements.
Question -- where is version 10 to be found? I tried Compuserve and a few bbs's
but no luck. I'd like to try the new version before I send the shareware
fee.

Saw a message thread on a bbs that said that after this month, Red Ryder
Host (usually a freebie for registered users) was going to only
be available as a separate (commercial) product. Anyone care to shed
any light on this subject.

Please reply by email and I'll post what info that I receive.

Also, thanks to those who pointed out my mistake in blaming the ram
when I should have blamed software that was designed contrary to standards.
(Space War! in particular).

Jim Solderitsch
Unisys/Paoli Research Center

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/16/87)

In article <3062@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> solderit@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
>Macworld (April 87) ran an article extolling the virtues of RR
>version 10.0. Has the ymodem protocol, among other improvements.
>Question -- where is version 10 to be found? I tried Compuserve and a few bbs's
>but no luck. I'd like to try the new version before I send the shareware
>fee.

MAcworld (among others) screwed up. Scott Watson is still working on 10.0,
and it won't be out until sometime around the end of the month if current
schedules hold.  They wrote the article based on an extremely old and
inaccurate interview (which Watson was supposed to have final approval of,
and which they neglected to do), and made a number of basic inaccuracies.
A very early not-quite-beta went out to some user group for testing and has
been distributed a number of places, but it is buggy as hell and they
weren't supposed to do it.  As far as I know, 10.0 will still be shareware.

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity