[comp.sys.mac] Removing JClock / MacPaint picture in Finder

jao@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (03/17/87)

Two questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me:

1.  A while back someone modifyied the System on our Mac Plus' HD 20 so that
it would display the current time in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
I believe it's called JClock.  How can I remove this from the System file
permanently without having to manually replace all the fonts and DA's that
are installed?

2.  I've come across a need to have a MacPaint picture as the backdrop to the
Finder.  I remember reading in Macworld how to do this (using ResEdit, I
think) but I couldn't locate the instructions when I looked.  Anyone know
how to do it or in which magazine I can find the instructions?  (By the way,
I need the picture to appear in the Finder, not as a startup screen, i.e.
Screen Maker won't do it.)

Please email any replies... I'll post answers if anyone's also interested.
Thanks for the help.

John A O'Malley
-----
Personal Computing Learning | 9:00am-5:00pm     | UNIX:
  Resource Center (PCLRC)   | Monday-Friday     |   jao@k.cc.purdue.edu
Math-Science B-4            | ( Me= 9am-11am )  |
Purdue University           |       (317)       | BITNET:
West Lafayette, IN  47907   | 494-1787 ext. 271 |   omalley@purccvm     :-)

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (03/18/87)

In article <1854@k.cc.purdue.edu> jao@k.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:
>1.  A while back someone modifyied the System on our Mac Plus' HD 20 so that
>it would display the current time in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
>I believe it's called JClock.  How can I remove this from the System file
>permanently without having to manually replace all the fonts and DA's that
>are installed?

Use ResEdit to open the "INIT" resources.  Typically they have titles
like "INIT 'FOO' ID = 26".  If there is one called JClock, delete
it, reboot the machine, warn people not to do bozo things
to your system file ever again, and you are in business.

The copies of JClock I have seen ARE named, but the name on the resource
isn't required to get it to work.  In general, deleting an UNnamed
resource is questionable, since you don't know if another program's
installer program has put it there or not.  In this case, I'd just
copy all the fonts and DA's, put a fresh system on, and restore them.
(This is a good idea ANYWAY, as it will make it easier to restore
your hard disk when it crashes.  Yes, when, not if -- believe me.
The sole function of disks is to crash, on any computer ever invented.)

There is also supposed to be a JClock uninstaller program, but if
you had it you wouldn't be asking ....
--
Rick Keir -- one floor up from the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

jao@k.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (03/18/87)

OK, here's how I removed JClock from the System on my Mac Plus' hard disk.
About six or seven people mailed me the instructions, which mesh together
something like this (a couple of other people wanted me to post this):

Put ResEdit, a System, and a Finder on a floppy disk and boot up the Mac
with it.  (Running ResEdit on the hard disk won't cut it... it won't let
you update the Sytem its using.)  Open the hard disk's System file and then
open the INIT resources.  Select the JClock resource (it was ID=4 on my
system) and cut it out (or clear it out).  Close the INITs and the System
and quit ResEdit.  You must confirm that you want to update the System file.
Once you reboot the system with the hard disk, JClock will be gone.  (Yay!
No more screw-ups with Switcher, which was my problem in the first place.)

David Phillip Oster (oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU) also wrote me
and said that Menu Clock, which he wrote, displays just a flashing colon
instead of seconds and doesn't mess up in Switcher.  Its installer program
also has a "remove the clock" option which JClock doesn't have.  I've learned
that JClock can be temporarily turned off, though, by moving the pointer up
to where the clock is and holding in the mouse button for a couple of seconds.

As for the MacPaint picture being the Finder's backdrop:  I posted my question
before completely reading my copy of the April Macworld.  Lo and behold,
there's an article in it that mentions a product that does what I need (as a
couple of people informed me in email).  It's called DeskScene, available
from Alsoft, if I remember correctly.  There's also a couple of public
domain programs available, one of which is called StartupDesk.  I'm going
to try to find a copy of that.  Apparently the technique for doing this is
similar... it uses an INIT resource.

Thanks for all the mail, folks.

John O'Malley
_____