[comp.sys.mac] Sad Mac -- HELP!

hunt@cg-d.UUCP (03/16/87)

Help!

I was in the middle of a file copy yesterday and my Mac+ froze
up.  I didn't think much of it -- as a longtime user of IBMPCs,
I got used to occasional brain-drain :-).  Unfortunately, when
I tried to reboot, the internal 800k drive wouldn''t recognize
*any* system file!!  I hit the "interrupt" button (programmer's
switch) and got a Sad Mac icon . . .

		    _____________
		    |   x   x   |
		    |	  .     |
		    |	 ___    |
		    |   /   \   |
		    |       --- |
		    |-----------|
		     0 F 0 0 0 D
		    ... . ... . .

With that number under it.

I seem to be SOL, and am now facing the prospect of paying large $
to get it looked at.  I'm disappointed and quite annoyed (the machine
is 4 months old . . . just out of warranty!)

Any suggestions?  Please email, I'll post a summary.

Walter Hunt	Compugraphic Corp.  Wilmington, MA

{the_world}!decvax!cg-d!hunt

"Denk, Herr Tell, er solch' Erzaehler,
 Ritsch' man, Boehr' man, Baeger' man, tief."

			-- Moerder Guess Reims
--

Walter H. Hunt			{the_world}!decvax!cg-d!hunt

	"Baseball is 50% skill, 50% practice, and 50% luck"

				-- Mickey Rivers (translated to the English)

kdmoen@watcgl.UUCP (03/18/87)

In article <295@cg-d.UUCP> hunt@cg-d.UUCP (Walter Hunt X7031) writes:
>Help!

>I was in the middle of a file copy yesterday and my Mac+ froze
>up.

>I seem to be SOL, and am now facing the prospect of paying large $
>to get it looked at.  I'm disappointed and quite annoyed (the machine
>is 4 months old . . . just out of warranty!)

Here in Canada, Apple has been supplying 1 year AppleCare warranties
with all Macintoshes since the middle of last summer.  Is the situation
different in the states?
--
Doug Moen (watmath!watcgl!kdmoen)
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (03/19/87)

The Sad Mac+ code 0F000D says that the interrupt switch is stuck on.
Pull it back out and see if your mac boots.  If it continues to stick,
you might have to do some minor surgery to the plastic to keep it from
sticking.

Ross Wille
wille!hplabs