[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh II Stuff

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton M. Elwell) (03/18/87)

Well, folks, I have good news and I have bad news.  The good news is that
LightspeedC on the Mac II is a wondrous sight to behold.  As a test, I
recompiled the Blob Manager (12,000+ lines of code).  Off of the
(somewhat slow) internal hard disk (Seagate 225N), it took 53 seconds.
Off of a RAMdisk created by Ramstart 1.3, it took 26 seconds.  That is
not a typo.  About 1 module per second.  The general speed of the machine
also has to be seen to be believed.  This is the machine I want on my
desk at home!

The bad news is that out of the set { MacTerminal, MacKermit, UW, Microphone },
only Microphone runs.  MacKermit bombs immediately, probably because of
SUMEX C's funky relocation scheme.  This is not a good sign.

More news as it happens....

PS.  Being able to set your own SysBeep() is great fun!.

--
====================
The greatest warriors are the ones			Clayton Elwell

huxham@apple.UUCP (Fred Huxham) (03/19/87)

In article <3361@osu-eddie.UUCP> elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton M. Elwell) writes:
>The bad news is that out of the set { MacTerminal, MacKermit, UW, Microphone },
>only Microphone runs.  MacKermit bombs immediately, probably because of
>SUMEX C's funky relocation scheme.  This is not a good sign.
>
>More news as it happens....

Since all MacII's in existence are PROTOTYPES (ie, not finished),
saying what does and doesn't run now isn't very useful information.
The particular machine at Ohio State has much less than current
ROMs and system software.

Applications that follow the rules (which are bashed into developer's
heads over and over) will run on a MacII.  In particular see tech
notes #2 and #117.

Happy Programming,
Fred

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton M. Elwell) (03/19/87)

In article <538@apple.UUCP> huxham@apple.UUCP (Fred Huxham) writes:
>Since all MacII's in existence are PROTOTYPES (ie, not finished),
>saying what does and doesn't run now isn't very useful information.
>The particular machine at Ohio State has much less than current
>ROMs and system software.
>
>Applications that follow the rules (which are bashed into developer's
>heads over and over) will run on a MacII.  In particular see tech
>notes #2 and #117.
>
>Happy Programming,
>Fred

Hmm... First, let me say that I'm deeply impressed by even what we have.
Since it only arrived the day before yesterday (March 17), I made the
assumption that the ROMs & software were fairly recent, despite the quaint
enclosure :-).

We have a Beta 7.0 ROM and System 4.1b1 dated March 2, 1987.  To prevent
future embarrassment, what's current (replying by mail is fine; I'm hard
to find by phone...)?

So far, all of the programs I have written run fine (and very fast).  What
worried me is that several Apple-labeled programs, which one would naively
assume followed the Developer Guidelines [1/2 :-)], seem to have problems.

So far the majority of bombs I have seen are System Error ID=1 (Bus Error).
I would guess that these are mainly due to wild memory references, and thus
aren't the ROM/System's fault.  I'm not worried about the stuff we are
working on here, but I hope other developers move fast to fix this kind of
bug.

Happily Programming,

--