[comp.sys.mac] lazy menus

wagner@bnrmtv.UUCP (Mark Wagner) (03/19/87)

I remember once seeing a program which modified the system (i believe
it was the system although I'm not really sure how it worked) so
that just running the mouse over the menu bar would bring up the
menus.  In other words it wasn't necessary to hold down the mouse
button to see what was in the menus.  The actual selection was done
in the normal way.

Does anyone know of this program and if so could they e-mail me
on where I can get a copy of it.

Thanx in advance,  Mark Wagner @ BNRMTV

sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) (03/19/87)

In article <1528@bnrmtv.UUCP>, wagner@bnrmtv.UUCP (Mark Wagner) writes:
> I remember once seeing a program which modified the system (i believe
> it was the system although I'm not really sure how it worked) so
> that just running the mouse over the menu bar would bring up the
> menus.  In other words it wasn't necessary to hold down the mouse
> button to see what was in the menus.  The actual selection was done
> in the normal way.
>
> Does anyone know of this program and if so could they e-mail me
> on where I can get a copy of it.

The program you're looking for is part of CE Software's justly famous
MockPackage, MockUtilities by name.  The current version is 4.3.4, I
think.  The EasyMenus option modifies the system file so that a mouse-
down isn't required to bring a menu down:  You just "wipe" the cursor
across the menu bar and down they pop.  In fact, you don't even have to
use the mouse button to select a menu item:  Just highlighting the item
with the cursor and then just leaving it highlighted will activate the
selection after a user-definable period of time.  I had it installed for
a while but ended up removing it for two reasons:  1) I could never
quite get used to it, and frequently "selected" menu choices I had no
intention of executing (potentially VERY dangerous), and 2) it was very
flakey with some of my favorite software, most particularly VersaTerm.

Anyway, you should be able to find this beast on any decent bulletin
board (I'm sure that both CompuServe and GEnie have it, although I can
afford neither) or from any Mac Users Group.  It is shareware.

Happy hunting!

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL