[comp.sys.mac] Of Games & Word Processors

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (03/19/87)

Well, I took the plunge and I have recently purchased the new MAC SE (dual
floppy model).  It should be arriving soon.  In the meantime, I would like
some of your recommendations on the following:

1)  Good games for the MAC, preferrably adventure/fantasy type games that DO
    NOT require any other devices other than the mouse and keyboard to be
    played.  Also, I prefer those games that are graphic as opposed to
    verbal (e.g. PHM Pegasus vs. ZORK).

2)  I recently saw a game called something like "Challenger:  Space Shuttle
    Simulator" (is this game any good?)

3)  What good word processors are there out there and WHY do you like them?
    (Note:  I will be running output off the Imagewriter II printer.)

4)  Does anyone know if the game "Dark Castle" runs on the SE?  How does it
    rate against other games (the few I have seen) that will run on the Mac?

Thank you for any feedback that you can provide.

						Jim Collymore

P.S.  Can anyone give me the specific height (in inches) of an Imagewriter II
      at its highest point?

dwb@well.UUCP (David W. Berry) (03/20/87)

Yep, Dark Castle certainly does work on a Macintosh SE.  Speaking
of which, I've been reading news too long...

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

chuq@plaid.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <419@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Well, I took the plunge and I have recently purchased the new MAC SE (dual
>floppy model).

Congrats!

>1)  Good games for the MAC, preferrably adventure/fantasy type games that DO

I (and my sagging deadlines) heartily recommend two:
	o shanghai (a solitaire game)
	o Dark Castle (just bought this one, arcade style game)

both are addicting.  Beware.  Also, Dark Castle installs nicely on a hard
disk, for which I give the manufacturer a big hurrah! (buy this product!)

>3)  What good word processors are there out there and WHY do you like them?
>    (Note:  I will be running output off the Imagewriter II printer.)

I use Word 3.0.  It is good.  It isn't great, although the (hopefully soon)
bugfix release ought to be. Word processors are a religious argument,
though, so your best bet is to try things out and see what you like.

>4)  Does anyone know if the game "Dark Castle" runs on the SE?  How does it
>    rate against other games (the few I have seen) that will run on the Mac?

Don't know about the SE, but it is one of the best I've seen on any machine.
Imagine rogue with real-time animation, life-like sound, and a bitmap
interface. And a sense of humor (bad one, perhaps....)

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

graifer@net1.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <419@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>3)  What good word processors are there out there and WHY do you like them?

See the March '87 issue of MacUser magazine.  FullWrite sounds impressive but
is still vaporware.  Word 3.0 is quite good in theory, but this forum, has
had a lot of complaints about serious bugs and poorly thought out features.
>P.S.  Can anyone give me the specific height (in inches) of an Imagewriter II
>      at its highest point?

I just stuck a ruler up against my IWII.  Both the rear edge and the top of
the clear plastic cover are 6.25 inches above my desk.

Welcome to the Macintosh World!
--
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU