[comp.sys.mac] Baseball for Mac?

kitterman@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (roger kitterman) (03/20/87)

I am looking for recommendations for a computer baseball program for the Mac.
Nothing arcade at all, something where you are the manager.  You must be able
to input your own teams, perhaps something similar to Strategic Simulations
Computer Baseball for the Apple II.  If anyone knows what's available or
something that's good, please let me know.

					Thanks in advance,
						Roger
kitterman@husc4.harvard.edu

sebruun@ihlpa.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <1444@husc6.UUCP>, kitterman@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (roger kitterman) writes:
> I am looking for recommendations for a computer baseball program for the Mac.
> Nothing arcade at all, something where you are the manager.  You must be able
> to input your own teams, perhaps something similar to Strategic Simulations
> Computer Baseball for the Apple II.  If anyone knows what's available or
> something that's good, please let me know.
>
> 					Thanks in advance,
> 						Roger
> kitterman@husc4.harvard.edu

Well, since you've asked, I can tell you that a truly fine statistical
simulation of Major League Baseball will be available RSN, probably by
this year's All-Star break.  I can assure you that it will include just
about everything you could possibly want in such a game.  I'm sorry to
say that I cannot reveal it's name, but I can tell you that it is being
developed by two devoted fanatics code-named Perfect Games, Ltd., using
LightspeedC.  What's more, it's entirely possible that it will be made
initially available as shareware, although it is also possible that it
will be released as a commercial product if backing can be obtained.
How do I know all of this?  I'm one of the two devoted fanatics.  Sorry
to have to cloak this message in so much secrecy, but you know how these
things are.  Believe me though, we've got an alpha version up and work-
ing, and it is already "insanely great," if we do say so ourselves!
More to follow.  Keep an eye on mod.mac.binaries:  If we go the share-
ware route, it will show up there long about the end of June.  Thanks
for providing me/us the opportunity to pre-announce our product.

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihlpa!sebruun

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <1444@husc6.UUCP>, kitterman@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (roger kitterman) writes:
> I am looking for recommendations for a computer baseball program for the Mac.
> Nothing arcade at all, something where you are the manager.  You must be able
> to input your own teams, perhaps something similar to Strategic Simulations
> Computer Baseball for the Apple II.  If anyone knows what's available or
> something that's good, please let me know.
> kitterman@husc4.harvard.edu
    Like any real baseball fan I have bought all 3 baseball games which I know
of for the Mac. They are:
1)   one from Activision (done by GAMESTAR)
2)   HardBall by Accolade
3)   Computer Baseball by Strategic simulations

For arcade type action I would recommend HardBall. It looks pretty good,
has a bit of digitized sound, plays pretty well (more features than
the one from Activision)

   If you want to manage a real Major league team then clearly Computer
baseball by Strategic is the one to go with. The program in in MS Basic
(ughhhh) and can be slow but you get about 24 teams which can be matched
against one another (for example the 1979 Orioles vs 1979 Pirates is
one of my favorites...I'm still trying to remove the blot of the comeback
in the real '79 series). There are a couple of glitches and bugs but it
does work reasonably well. If there were another one on the market which
had those features I would probably buy it first since this is not the best
job that could have been done.
   Hope this is useful.   David Gelphman