[comp.sys.mac] cheap but good MIDI interface??

authorplaceholder@labsms.UUCP.UUCP (03/20/87)

Sorry if this has been asked before my notes feed has been kind
of unreliable lately.

I would like to know where I could get information on obtaining
a cheap but good MIDI interface for the MAC.  I don't mind building
one myself if someone knows where a good description/schematic of
one is.  I've thought about buying opcode's MIDI, but I dont feel
that rich.

I friend of mine showed me an issue of "AMAZING COMPUTING" for the
amiga which showed how to make one for the amiga.  I don't think
it would be that hard to make one for the mac with a similar design.

I'd also be interested in any PD programs ('C' source).
which I could use to test this MIDI interface out after I get it built.
specifically getting a dump from keyboard patch into a file.

Thanks very much. - - I hope someone out there hears my plea.

Larry McWilliams
ihnp4!labsms!lmm

ajg@cci632.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <203200001@labsms.UUCP> lmm@labsms.UUCP writes:
>......I would like to know where I could get information on obtaining
>a cheap but good MIDI interface for the MAC.  .......
>
>Larry McWilliams
>ihnp4!labsms!lmm

It seems to me that MacTutor had a two issue series on MIDI, which included
a set of schematics, and the a set of drivers to use with their hardware.
I think the issues were about a year ago. I don't know of anyone who built
this thing or who used the code that was provided, but the author seemed
to know what he was talking about.

			Hope this helps
				Tony

fry@huma1.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <1029@cci632.UUCP> ajg@ccird4.UUCP (Tony Giaccone) writes:
>It seems to me that MacTutor had a two issue series on MIDI, which included
>a set of schematics, and the a set of drivers to use with their hardware.
>I think the issues were about a year ago. I don't know of anyone who built
>this thing or who used the code that was provided, but the author seemed
>to know what he was talking about.

Those articles were in Oct. '85 and Nov. '85 or Nov. '85 and
Dec. '85, although I believe the former is true.  A friend and
I built this hardware as a project for an electronics class
we were taking.  We used the assembly drivers from within
MegaMax C and had little trouble getting the Mac to send
information to the Ensoniq synthesizer we were using, but
never succeeded in teaching the Mac to listen to what the
Ensoniq had to say.  I blame this on my limited knowledge of
MacProgramming at the time and MegaMax's awkward use of
register A5 (SCC interrupts from the synth always crashed the
Mac...it's a long story).  For a class demonstation, we had
the Mac play the Minute Waltz in 2 minutes, then 1 minute,
then 15 seconds.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry