[comp.sys.mac] System 4.0 on a Mac Plus

riddle@emory.UUCP (03/15/87)

With the new Macintosh SE comes a new version of the system and finder,
namely system 4.0 and finder 5.4.  There are also new versions for the
imagewriter driver, laserprep and laserwriter driver.

My question is: is there any danger in using the new system/finder
on a mac plus?  I wouldn't be asking this except that the salesman
at the store where I saw the SE insisted that one should not use
4.0 with a mac plus because "there had been reports of it trashing
hard disks" when not using Apple Share.  Frankly I find this hard to
believe, but before installing 4.0/5.4 on my DataFrame I thought it
might be prudent just to check to see if anyone has, in fact, had any
trouble with using this combination on their Mac+.

--
Larry Riddle        |  {akgua,sb1,gatech}!emory!riddle   USENET
Emory University    |  riddle@emory                      CSNET,BITNET

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (03/15/87)

In article <2009@emory.UUCP> riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) writes:
>With the new Macintosh SE comes a new version of the system and finder,
>namely system 4.0 and finder 5.4.  [...]
>
>My question is: is there any danger in using the new system/finder
>on a mac plus?  [...]

Larry, I've been using 4.0/5.4 on my plus with a Jasmine 20 for
about two weeks with no problems at all.  Everything Apple has
written about this release and the plus says NOT to use it.  No
specific reasons are given.  They say that "4.0 is an interim
release and is not licensible (sic)..."  and "4.1 will be
released in late spring, will be licensible (sic) and will
replace 3.2 as the recommended System file to include with your
products."

There seem to be quite a few bug fixes, operational enhancements,
as well as AppleShare support, although Apple says the enhance-
ments are not significant for non-ApplleShare users.

Of course, you always keep your hard disk backed up, so what can
you lose?

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <this is not a pipe    POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
NSA food: CIA + FBI + Reagan = terrorism   Quote: "I'm not a crook." RMN
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/15/87)

In article <2009@emory.UUCP> riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) writes:
>With the new Macintosh SE comes a new version of the system and finder,
>namely system 4.0 and finder 5.4.  There are also new versions for the
>imagewriter driver, laserprep and laserwriter driver.
>
>My question is: is there any danger in using the new system/finder
>on a mac plus?  I wouldn't be asking this except that the salesman
>at the store where I saw the SE insisted that one should not use
>4.0 with a mac plus because "there had been reports of it trashing
>hard disks" when not using Apple Share.

The official policy is that the new stuff is only useful for people running
Appleshare, so there is no reason to upgrade.  A newer, full release is due
out this summer for all machines.

That being said, many people HAVE upgrade, and from the comments I've seen
on Delphi, notice significant performance enhancements.  I've seen some
comments about being unable to use some programs and hard disks (some laser
spoolers and downloadable laser fonts don't work iwth the new laserprep, for
instance, and some (name forgotten, sorry) hard disks won't boot) but I've
never heard of having disks trashed.  I've got the stuff, and as soon as I
get a free day or two on my machines, I'll be upgrading.

Two provisos, however:

o It is NOT supported on the 128K mac.  Never will be.  What you have is
	what you will always have (hint: upgrade.)

o It isn't recommended for old ROM 512K machines, because you have to strip
	the system file to make it fit on a 400K floppy. (hint: upgrade)

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

vito@trwspf.TRW.COM (Herb Barad) (03/16/87)

In article <2009@emory.UUCP> riddle@emory.UUCP (Larry Riddle) writes:
>With the new Macintosh SE comes a new version of the system and finder,
>namely system 4.0 and finder 5.4.  There are also new versions for the
>imagewriter driver, laserprep and laserwriter driver.
>
>My question is: is there any danger in using the new system/finder
>on a mac plus?  I wouldn't be asking this except that the salesman
>at the store where I saw the SE insisted that one should not use
>4.0 with a mac plus because "there had been reports of it trashing
>hard disks" when not using Apple Share.  Frankly I find this hard to
>believe, but before installing 4.0/5.4 on my DataFrame I thought it
>might be prudent just to check to see if anyone has, in fact, had any
>trouble with using this combination on their Mac+.

I have been using the new system and finder with both Mac +'s and with
Mac 512 (even old ROMs) with absolutely no problem.  I hear that version
4.1 of the system (yet to come out) will be the final one that ALL
Macs (except the 128K and XL) should use.  I know that they still recommend
using the version 3.2/5.3 until they come out with 4.1/5.4, but I
suppose that is to avoid upgrading twice in a very short time.

I personally find the new system & finder 4.0/5.4 to work very well on
Mac+'s and 512's.  The new combo is a little bit bigger, but this is
only a problem with floppies (we have a LW+ and LOTS of fonts/DA's etc.).
On a 400K floppy, we just changed the LW drivers and they seem to
work with the old system.

The only problem that I have encountered is that MacDraft (V1.1) no longer
seems to work.  It bombs.  Anybody else experience this?
Any fixes???

I suppose 4.1/5.4 will come out when the Mac II is out in regular
supply.  Up until then, upgrading on Mac+'s & 512s is your own choice.

--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (03/16/87)

I've been using 4.0/5.4 on my 512e with Paradise hard disk ever since it
(4.0, not the Paradise :-)) was released.  No problems.

Steve Dorner
dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) (03/19/87)

I've been using them on my XP 40 and XP 20. Everything is perfect. I love
the new ShutDown feature.
Open up the string resources of the new Font/DA over (v. 3.4).
Surprise: there is a string "you cannot install more than 52 DA's". Is this
a hint to what's gonna happen to System 4.1?

vito@trwspf.UUCP (03/20/87)

I heard a presentation of 3 Apple people yesterday: Kawasaki, Kastener,
and I forget the other person's name.  It IS ok to use 4.0/5.4 on
a Mac+ and even a 512 Mac.  The are 2 reasons why Apple is
discouraging it:

1. System 4.1 will be out soon, so people will have to upgrade very
soon anyway.  Why upgrade twice?  Also, people with only floppies
would have to upgrade ALL their floppies twice.  So why bother.

2. 4.0/5.4 only has stuff needed for a Mac SE and AppleShare.  If
you don't have either of these, then you will not benifit much.  I
don't say "at all", I just say not much.

I hope this clears everything up.  To summarize, it's OK, you will just
have to upgrade the system again in a couple of months.  You choose.

--

jimb@dopey.UUCP (03/22/87)

in article <215@trwspf.TRW.COM>, vito@trwspf.TRW.COM (Herb Barad) says:
> 2. 4.0/5.4 only has stuff needed for a Mac SE and AppleShare.  If
> you don't have either of these, then you will not benifit much.  I
> don't say "at all", I just say not much.

One point. If you have a hard disk you may benefit from the new shutdown.

Under the special menu:

	Restart		The *old* shutdown.
	Shutdown	Stops after the shutdown, and says it's
			OK to turn off the computer. There is
			a restart button in case you change your mind.

Two negative points for *floppy only* systems:

	1. The fattening trash can. If you have ejected the system
	disk when you trash something for another disk it'll force
	you to insert the system disk to get the icon. If it's the same
	drive it'll clear the trash. Mark the icon in the finder as
	'preload' with Resedit to prvent this.

	2. If you have ejected your disks when you select shutdown
	it will force you to insert the disk to get the resource.
	Of course, since you have already ejected the disks you
	could just turn the computer off anyway.

Other than that it works fine on my 512Ke.
--
+===== Jim Budler ==== Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ==== (408) 749-5806 =====+
| cryptography, terrorist, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO |

prgclb@ihlpa.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <319@dopey.AMD.COM>, jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) writes:
> Two negative points for *floppy only* systems:
>
> 	1. The fattening trash can. If you have ejected the system
> 	disk when you trash something for another disk it'll force
> 	you to insert the system disk to get the icon. . . .
>
> 	2. If you have ejected your disks when you select shutdown
> 	it will force you to insert the disk to get the resource.
>
> Other than that it works fine on my 512Ke.

To that, I'd add:

	3. If you eject your system disk and put in a backup data
	disk to duplicate some files, it will stop and ask you to
	put the system disk back in so it can give you the dialog
	box that asks you if you're sure you want to duplicate over
	the same file.  With the previous system, you don't need to
	swap the backup disk for the system disk, then swap back,
	to get the warning dialog box.

Carl Blesch