[comp.sys.mac] spacewar!

solderit@burdvax.UUCP (03/11/87)

I've recently downloaded a copy of spacewar! from the info-mac
archive and discovered that it doesn't work on my upgraded
mac (128K to a plus). I suspect the new rom's are the problem.

I'm not even sure the game is worth making a fuss about (being
unable to try it) but I'd appreciate hearing if anyone can confirm
the incompatibility of this program with the new roms and what,
if any, patch(s) can be made to make it work.

BTW, I made sure I was running with the cache turned off --
system 3.2, finder 5.3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Solderitsch
Unisys
Paoli Research Center

chuq@plaid.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <3056@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> solderit@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
>I've recently downloaded a copy of spacewar! from the info-mac
>archive and discovered that it doesn't work on my upgraded
>mac (128K to a plus). I suspect the new rom's are the problem.

Actually, the problem is not the ROM.  The problem is that spacewars
doesn't conform to the programming standards and therefore isn't
compatible with the new roms.  This isn't the ROM's problem, though.

just keeping things straight...

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

tim@ism780c.UUCP (03/25/87)

>>I've recently downloaded a copy of spacewar! from the info-mac
>>archive and discovered that it doesn't work on my upgraded
>>mac (128K to a plus). I suspect the new rom's are the problem.
>
>Actually, the problem is not the ROM.  The problem is that spacewars
>doesn't conform to the programming standards and therefore isn't
>compatible with the new roms.  This isn't the ROM's problem, though.

On the other hand, Spacewar! can be patched to work on a plus.  Check
the info-mac archives and see if they also have the patch, which was
posted to USENET.  If they don't have it, send me mail, and I will try
to find it and post it.   Or, if you are on Compuserve, you can find
the patch there.  Finally, if you have MacNosy, it is not too hard to
come up with the patch yourself.

The problem is that it refers to the screen buffer and sound buffer
directly.  You have to find and change those ( and the alternate
screen buffer ).  Megaroids also has an absolute reference to
a memory address near the screen ( which it uses as a disk buffer ).
I am not sure, but Spacewar! may have this bogus feature also.
--
Tim Smith                               Welcome to Wackyland
uucp: sdcrdcf!ism780!tim                "It can happen here"