[comp.sys.mac] An SE Owner's Comments

bradn@tekig4.UUCP (03/24/87)

Here's my two cents' worth as a new owner of an SE (dual floppy model).
My previous system was a 512K Mac (old Roms) with an external floppy drive.

The Fan is annoying.  It's a small, high-speed fan that whines.  I preferred
Kensington's fan -- it was louder, but it produced white noise rather than
a whine.  It's hard to listen to Mac-generated music with that whine in the
background.

Some misguided engineer seems to have "fixed" the mouse tracking during
disk accesses.  Now, instead of slowing down during disk activity, the
pointer makes huge leaps, making it impossible to position the mouse during
disk accesses (e.g., bringing up a dialog that you want to point at).
The problem is especially noticable when initializing a disk.  Maybe my mouse
is broken -- has anyone else seen this problem?

The keyboard has a very good feel and has bumps on the D and K keys (for
us touch-typists).

I've had no unexpected compatibility problems.  I've run the following
programs under the new system:

	MacWrite 4.5
	Kermit 0.8(33)
	Binhex 4.0
	SuperPaint 1.0
	AAIS Prolog M1.10
	MacDraw 1.7
	Fontastic 2.7
	MacTerminal 2.0 (the previous version didn't work)

I've sent for Mac+ upgrades to the following stuff:

	Manx Aztec C V1.06G (MFS to HFS)
	Copy II Mac (MFS to HFS)
	ThunderScan (Imagewriter I to II, new cables)

Did all you Mac+ owners notice that the SE (and Mac II)'s 256K Rom will never
be put in Mac+'s?  Now you know what us "obsolete" old Rom owners have felt
like for the past year.  I hope the experience makes a few die-hard technoids
realize that owners of old equipment are not stupid, poverty-stricken, or
backward.

Brad Needham
bradn@tekig4.TEK.COM
or
...tektronix!tekig4!bradn

jimb@dopey.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <1365@tekig4.TEK.COM) bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
)Did all you Mac+ owners notice that the SE (and Mac II)'s 256K Rom will never
)be put in Mac+'s?  Now you know what us "obsolete" old Rom owners have felt
)like for the past year.  I hope the experience makes a few die-hard technoids
)realize that owners of old equipment are not stupid, poverty-stricken, or
)backward.

Obnoxious.

Comparing the $300 investment I took to go from old to new ROM to the
$2000+ investment I must take to go to the SE.

If you could afford the upgrade to the new ROMs, and didn't, the words
stupid and backward might apply.

Was that the entire point of the posting? To tell us you could afford
a Mac SE now?
--
+===== Jim Budler ==== Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ==== (408) 749-5806 =====+
|  Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM   |

chuq@plaid.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <321@dopey.AMD.COM> jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) writes:
>In article <1365@tekig4.TEK.COM) bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
>)Did all you Mac+ owners notice that the SE (and Mac II)'s 256K Rom will never
>)be put in Mac+'s?  Now you know what us "obsolete" old Rom owners have felt
>)like for the past year.  I hope the experience makes a few die-hard technoids
>)realize that owners of old equipment are not stupid, poverty-stricken, or
>)backward.
>
>Obnoxious.
>
>Comparing the $300 investment I took to go from old to new ROM to the
>$2000+ investment I must take to go to the SE.

Yes.  Especially since there were major improvements in the functionality,
speed, and reliability between the old ROM's and new ROM's for that $300,
and the only functionality changes that won't be RAM patched back onto the
128K Rom's will be things that only make sense on the SE.  the 512ke and
Mac+ aren't by any means obsolete, unlike the old ROM machines.

Of course, we can also point out that there is a lot of functionality that
is missing from the SE Rom when compared to the mac II Rom, so I wouldn't go
crowing. Compared to that Rom, your machine is a week old and already
obsolete....

Isn't this all kind of catty and useless?
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

jimb@dopey.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <321@dopey.AMD.COM> jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) writes:
+---------------
| >In article <1365@tekig4.TEK.COM) bradn@tekig4.UUCP (Bradford Needham) writes:
| >)Did all you Mac+ owners notice that the SE (and Mac II)'s 256K Rom will never
| >)be put in Mac+'s?  Now you know what us "obsolete" old Rom owners have felt
| >)like for the past year.  I hope the experience makes a few die-hard technoids
| >)realize that owners of old equipment are not stupid, poverty-stricken, or
| >)backward.
| >
| >Obnoxious.
| >
| >Comparing the $300 investment I took to go from old to new ROM to the
| >$2000+ investment I must take to go to the SE.
| >
| >If you could afford the upgrade to the new ROMs, and didn't, the words
| >stupid and backward might apply.

My apologies to the net, 64K ROM owners in particular.