[comp.sys.mac] MacWorld Weasels

yvo@ut-sally.UUCP (Yvonne Van Olphen) (03/23/87)

Due to a silly error on my part, I bought a copy of a MacWorld that I
already had received through the mail (as part of a free promotional
subscription for buying a Mac).  To my surprise I noticed that there
was an interesting difference between the subscription version and the
grocery store version of the magazine.  They are both the exact same
issue--March, 1987 "The Mac Goes Hollywood".  The one I bought in the
grocery store has a bar code in the lower left corner, and the price
marked is $2.95.  The one I received through the mail has no bar code
and the price is marked as $3.95.  I then decided to compare the
subscription offers in the two magazines.  Lo and behold, the $2.95
grocery store version offers a one year subscription for "$19.95--a
savings of $15.45 off the annual cover price of $35.40."  The $3.95
subscription version offers one year for "only $24.00--a $23.40 savings
off the annual cover price of $47.40!!!!!"

Gee, I guess I'd better pay $24.00 so's I can save $23.40, instead of
paying $19.95 and only saving a measly $15.45!!!!

What sleazeballs these MacWorld people are--they're cheating their
faithful subscribers by making them think that they're getting a better
deal than they really a.

wv@whuts.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <7539@ut-sally.UUCP> yvo@ut-sally.UUCP (Yvonne Van Olphen) writes:
>grocery store has a bar code in the lower left corner, and the price
>marked is $2.95.  The one I received through the mail has no bar code
>and the price is marked as $3.95.  I then decided to compare the
>subscription offers in the two magazines.  Lo and behold, the $2.95
>grocery store version offers a one year subscription for "$19.95--a
>savings of $15.45 off the annual cover price of $35.40."  The $3.95
>subscription version offers one year for "only $24.00--a $23.40 savings
>off the annual cover price of $47.40!!!!!"

I've heard of this a number of times before, but I never checked it
myself to see if it's true. I'd like to hear if anyone else has run
across this. Also, does this mean that Publisher Clearing House, etc.
are actual ripoffs?

howard@io.UUCP (03/24/87)

Is it possible that the issue they sent in the mail was a Canadian
issue (which cost more)?

Howard Moskovitz
AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
!io!howard

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (03/27/87)

>Is it possible that the issue they sent in the mail was a Canadian
>issue (which cost more)?
original poster complained of (with US prices).
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt