[comp.sys.mac] SE with Dark Castle & SmartAlarms

ch2f#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/27/87)

Just got my SE and was playing Dark Castle on it (installed it on the hard
disk, no problem).  The program seemed to work fine. But I really got the
machine to do work on, so I later installed SmartAlarms in the system file on
the hard disk.  Now Dark Castle says "there is a problem with the way memory
is allocated.  (3524 high bytes used).  This could be due to other software
that is already installed in memory."  Is this a problem on the Mac Plus too,
or is is just specific to the SE?  Thanks for any hints.

-Chuck Huff

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <EUONjiy00W0cETQ0AO@andrew.cmu.edu>, ch2f#@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Huff) writes:
> Just got my SE and was playing Dark Castle on it (installed it on the hard
> disk, no problem).  The program seemed to work fine. But I really got the
> machine to do work on, so I later installed SmartAlarms in the system file on
> the hard disk.  Now Dark Castle says "there is a problem with the way memory
> is allocated.  (3524 high bytes used).  This could be due to other software
> that is already installed in memory."  Is this a problem on the Mac Plus too,
> or is is just specific to the SE?  Thanks for any hints.
>
> -Chuck Huff

Dark Castles, like many animation games, uses the alternate screen buffer.
There are two ways to install memory-resident tasks on the Mac.
Put it in the system heap (discouraged for the pre-Mac Plus; later
machines have larger system heaps) or steal it from high memory.

Unfortunately, stealing it from high memory prevents one from ever
having an alternate screen buffer.

Somewhere there's a PD program that pre-allocates the alternate screen
buffer (so it will be there later) BEFORE other programs steal the
memory.

If not, it's easy enough to do -- just write a program that sets
the appropriate _Launch parameter before calling your program.

--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

dwb@well.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <2911@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
>Somewhere there's a PD program that pre-allocates the alternate screen
>buffer (so it will be there later) BEFORE other programs steal the
>memory.
	Unfortunately, the way Dark Castle goes about find out if the
	alternate screen buffer is available doesn't take that into
	account.  Ie., Dark Castle still won't work, even with it
	installed.  My solution, obnoxious though it may be is to
	just run it off of a floopy.

	David
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <2841@well.UUCP>, dwb@well.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
> In article <2911@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> >Somewhere there's a PD program that pre-allocates the alternate screen
> >buffer (so it will be there later) BEFORE other programs steal the
> >memory.
> 	Unfortunately, the way Dark Castle goes about find out if the
> 	alternate screen buffer is available doesn't take that into
> 	account.  Ie., Dark Castle still won't work, even with it
> 	installed.

I talked to the folks at Silicon Beach over the weekend, and, David
is right, Dark Castles can't tell if you save the buffer for it.
(I was trying to do just that, and couldn't get it to work.)

Actually, this brings up a minor complaint of mine.  Apple starting
encouraging people to allocate space from BufPtr because the system
heap is too small.  This is a terrible hack; there is no management
of this memory, no way to tell why it is allocated or to deallocate
it -- or even a bit to say that the alternate buffers are reserved.

Now that the system heap is larger on the Mac II, and it will break
all the programs that idiotically made assumptions about the value
of ApplZone, maybe the system heap can be expanded on the other machines
as well.  Or maybe we can get some memory management for the BufPtr
area (such as a linked list of allocated areas and a trap to move
down BufPtr).  I mean, this is no better than the hack used to
run DA's on the IBM PC!