[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder Host Materials on GEnie?

clubmac@runx.UUCP (03/21/87)

Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?

We are trying to get external applications working, and someone mentioned
something about Scott Watson being on GEnie some months ago. Does Scott
put any examples onto GEnie?

Thanks in advance,
		Jason Haines

Club Mac - The Sydney University Macintosh Society
Snail:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

vito@trwspf.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <733@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Sydney University Macintosh Society) writes:

>Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
>Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?
>
>We are trying to get external applications working, and someone mentioned
>something about Scott Watson being on GEnie some months ago. Does Scott
>put any examples onto GEnie?

The answer is YES.  All of the Red Ryder and Red Ryder Host stuff appears
on GEnie first and then gets distributed elsewhere.  Scott can recieve
mail under "SWATSON".  There are many RRH utilities and some even come
with source.
--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu

wyle@ethz.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <733@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
>Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?
>[...]
>put any examples onto GEnie?

There is also a sizable number of PAID-UP customers on this continent
who would like to contribute to, learn from, and participate in a users
society of Red Ryder.  We cannot access GEnie.  Good RR procedures are
worth sharing.

"It is the responsibility of software developers to nurture the user
community."  -R F Beck-

What do you say, Scott?  How about some more bang for our bucks?

-Mitch Wyle   (wyle%ifi.ethz.chunet@relay.cs.net)  or (wyle@ethz.uucp)

--
                      M i t c h e l l     F     W y l e

    EEEEE TTTTTT H   H  Eidgenoessische      | wyle%ifi.ethz.chunet@csnet-relay
   E       T    H   H  Technische Hochschule | wyle@ethz.uucp
  EEEE    T    HHHHH  Zuerich                | ...!cernvax!ethz!wyle
 E       T    H   H  Institut fuer Informatik| Telephone: 011 41 1 256 5235
EEEEE   T    H   H  8092 Zuerich, Switzerland| "Ignore alien orders"

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <733@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Sydney University Macintosh Society) writes:

> Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
> Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?
>
> We are trying to get external applications working, and someone mentioned
> something about Scott Watson being on GEnie some months ago. Does Scott
>
> Thanks in advance,

Scott Watson has had a support Roundtable for his products for a year now.
There are some examples of the external applications in the Software libraries.
You need to be a registered user of Red Ryder for access to the RoundTable
and of course a user of Genie. I am a co-sysop on the Freesoft Rt, So if
you have any further questions, let me know...

           Norman Goodger @Bridge Communications    !bridge2!ngg
           (415) 969 4400 Ex:445       Sysop-MACINFO BBS @415-795-8862

tdn@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/27/87)

> Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
> Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?

For some time, the program and documentation were available in the Freesoft
Roundtable on GEnie for downloading by any registered user of Red Ryder who
had a GEnie account.  Recently, though, Watson turned Red Ryder Host from a
benefit of Red Ryder registration into a separate $60 product -- the people
who were already using it and who had registered their BBS systems with him
will be able to download updates, but new users must pay.

                                        -- Thomas Newton

wbell@utgpu.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <1172@spice.cs.cmu.edu> tdn@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Thomas Newton) writes:

>> Does anyone know whether there are any materials on GEnie pertaining to
>> Red Ryder Host by Scott Watson?
>>

>For some time, the program and documentation were available in the Freesoft
>Roundtable on GEnie for downloading by any registered user of Red Ryder who
>had a GEnie account.  Recently, though, Watson turned Red Ryder Host from a
>benefit of Red Ryder registration into a separate $60 product -- the people
>who were already using it and who had registered their BBS systems with him
>will be able to download updates, but new users must pay.
>
>                                        -- Thomas Newton

Is is Shareware, or is it commercial-only?
(shades of FEdit+ creeping in here -- perhaps Shareware really *is* dooomed...)
[btw, I registered for RR last summer, expecting to receive RR Host with it,
but didn't. I couldn't download it from GEnie because GEnie doesn't
have access from Canada (and still doesn't).  now I have to pay $60?
forget it. ]
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

Disclaimer: the views expressed above are mine alone, and do not
in any way reflect the views of the University of Toronto, nor
the views of University of Toronto Computing Services.

ngg@bridge2.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1987Mar27.105056.21447@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) writes:
> Is is Shareware, or is it commercial-only?
> (shades of FEdit+ creeping in here -- perhaps Shareware really *is* dooomed...)
> [btw, I registered for RR last summer, expecting to receive RR Host with it,
> but didn't. I couldn't download it from GEnie because GEnie doesn't
> have access from Canada (and still doesn't).  now I have to pay $60?
> forget it. ]
	       Warren Bell

Red Ryder Host was converted from the *FREE* realm to a $60 product so that
Host could continue to improve. Host when first released had several bugs that
prevented it from working as well as it could. Well after a considerable wait
Host is now at version 1.4 and working quite nicely. It has a couple new
commands that prior versions did not have, but is not significantly enhanced.
After a lot of thought, Freesoft decided that giving Host away as a premium
product for Red Ryder users was no longer viable. Some users thought that they
should recieve it *with* their registration, although this was never perfectly
clear, the free Genie Signup was to allow users that _wanted_ to use Host
would be able to download it from Genie as it was not cost effective to
distribute 2-3 disks containing Red Ryder and its documentation and Red Ryder
Host with its editors and documenation. Since they are on 400K disks to make
sure of compatability with those that have not upgraded to 800k drives.
For those that could not make use of Genie a simple letter to Freesoft
requesting Red Ryder Host would have gotton you what you wanted.
Warren are you really going to forget using Host? Since at this time there
Are no good alternatives for Running a BBS program on the Mac, $60 is *cheap*
for the capabilties that Host has now. Sure there is room for improvement,
but that can be said for almost any program out there depending on what *YOU*
want or *expect* it to do. With the new Policy of Charging $60, Host has
a possibilty of getting much better. Scott has said the first major area
of improvement for Host in the future will be much more powerful message
section, threading etc...so even though it may take a while...Host will
get better. If there are Red Ryder or Host users on the net that have
specific question on the New policies, you can call Scott Watson at Freesoft
at 314-423-2190 during the Hours of 3-5pm Mon-Fri CST. It may take more than
one try to get thru, but I have successfully reached him several times this
way.

at