[comp.sys.mac] PD STAR TREK

lou@geac.UUCP (Lou Ferrante) (03/23/87)

Does a PD version of "Star Trek" exist for the Mac?
If one does exist, can someone please tell me how to get a copy.

Thanks,

Lou Ferrante

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (03/26/87)

There are three STAR TREK games I know of: one that's advertised in every
Mac Connection that I know nothing about, a (I believe) Freeware version
done with World Builder which has nice sound effects but is only for
adventure addicts, and a new game called NetTrek which runs on AppleTalk,
is multi-player and is absolutely astonishing (it is shareware).  I'm going
to post it to mod.mac.binaries in the next week.

                                "I love America.  Electricity right from the
                                 wall, anytime you want it."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

johan@apple.UUCP (Johan Strandberg) (03/28/87)

In moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>[...] and a new game called NetTrek which runs on AppleTalk,
>is multi-player and is absolutely astonishing (it is shareware).  I'm going
>to post it to mod.mac.binaries in the next week.
>
>                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer

I am forwarding this from the author of NetTrek, Randy Carr:

March 27, 1987 - NetTrek information:
Insight into the Macintosh application program NetTrek and status of which you
might not be aware.

Currently, NetTrek is in product negotiation with Activision,
Broderbund, & MacroMind as possible distribution as a real product.
There are two completely different versions of the NetTrek program
available on various bulletin boards.  Both of these programs were
released to the public without my permission.  The older version, dated
10.30.86 is pure pre-release trash and has way too many bugs.  A later
version 12.13.86 is better, but is not an accurate representation of
the true features of the program  (many advanced features are
missing).  I would prefer that the program not be distributed until
final negotiation is completed.  (It is very likely that the program
will become shareware anyway)  If the program does not get approval
from any of the companies that I've tried negotiating, I will gladly
post a new version, the latest and greatest, complete with
documentation & strategies for players of NetTrek.  (I'll have to
change some of the names to cover Paramount copyrights as well)

Nowhere in the program are the words "Shareware" or "Freeware",
instead, for my own protection during the testing stage of the early
versions of the application (like the ones that got out), I placed my
name with a pricey amount just to cover myself in case the program
became too popular and therefore became resident on most everyone's
disks.

In the next several weeks, final negotiation and settlement should be
completed, and at that time, the final state of the program will be
known.

Randy Carr, Network Systems Development
Apple Computer, Inc.

(408) 973-3251

AppleLink: CARR2
[Mail to apple!johan will be forwarded to Randy by me --Johan Strandberg]

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (04/01/87)

I mailed the NetTrek program (it is the 10.30.86 "buggy" version) to the
mod.mac.binaries moderator, but sent a cancellation request the next day
after reading this message; thus, it almost certainly will not be posted.

Yes, it doesn't specifically call itself "ShareWare"; I implied from the
request for money and the address to send it to "if I liked the program"
that it was.

I, for one, will be most interested to hear how this comes out.  I don't
currently use AppleTalk, but if this program comes out in Single-User (or
over-the-phone w/one opponent) mode, I'll certainly plunk down the cash for
it, whatever form it's in.  For a piece of "pre-release trash", this is one
heck of an interesting program.

                                "To live outside the law, you must be honest."
                                                -- Bob Dylan