[comp.sys.mac] Case Signatures

ma179abl@sdcc3.UUCP (03/30/87)

Does anyone know why some macs don't have signatures on the inside
of the case?

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (03/30/87)

The earlier Macs had the signatures of the design team on the
inside of the case's back panel, which I find a very well-deserved
tribute to those genius designers.

However, many of the Mac Design team left Apple about the
same time that Steve Jobs did, and in a fit of mean-spiritedness,
Apple removed may of those names from the Mac Case.

(Which ones were removed, I am not not sure, I just remember seeing
the two cases side-by-side and seeing the difference.)

Perhaps someone from apple could set the record straight...?

		--Rich

ma179abl@sdcc3.UUCP (03/31/87)

My mac is one of the early macs and it doesn't have any signatures
at all.  Just wondering why.

dennisg@fritz.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <MS.V3.18.rs4u.80022404.brownsville.ibm032.3022.2@andrew.cmu.edu>
rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>The earlier Macs had the signatures of the design team on the
>inside of the case's back panel, which I find a very well-deserved
>tribute to those genius designers.
>
>However, many of the Mac Design team left Apple about the
>same time that Steve Jobs did, and in a fit of mean-spiritedness,
>Apple removed may of those names from the Mac Case.

Why manufacture a conspiracy to explain this?  The way I heard it was...

The original Mac and Fat Mac had the same cases, with signatures.

The Mac+ introduced a SCSI port, and that brought substantial changes in the
layout and size of the connectors in back.  When Apple had the existing molds
reworked, SOME of the signatures were lost in the process.  They didn't bother
to put them back.

The new cases probably come from entirely new molds.  By this time, Apple
was tired of the whole signature thing anyway, and just never put 'em on.

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (04/01/87)

> My mac is one of the early macs and it doesn't have any signatures
> at all.  Just wondering why.

On many (all?) of the cases, the anti-EMI coating on the inside of the
case makes the signatures kind of hard to read.  You sometimes have to
look very closely, or try to get an oblique light source on the signatures.
I have an early (4-84) Mac, and it has them.

--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka