[comp.sys.mac] Servant. What happened to it?

pgtrubey@watlion.UUCP (04/02/87)

Does anyone know what happened to a program called Servant?
I think Andy Hertzfield (sp?) was programming it.

It was basically a replacement for the Finder.

I haven't heard anything about it recently, has it been released?

--
Phil Trubey
pgtrubey@watlion.UUCP  !{allegra,clyde,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!watlion!pgtrubey

julian@riacs.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <7970@watlion.UUCP> pgtrubey@watlion.UUCP writes:
> Does anyone know what happened to a program called Servant?
> I think Andy Hertzfield (sp?) was programming it.
>
> It was basically a replacement for the Finder.

It is substantially more than that.

> I haven't heard anything about it recently, has it been released?

Last Tuesday Herzfeld said he is still working on it; he is up to
version 0.92.  He said he will probably post it (to CompuServe) twice
more: once in the near future to give everybody a current version,
and once more when he "is sick to death of it and doesn't want to
touch it again."

--
Scientists will study your brain to learn more about your distant cousin, Man.

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

cramer@clem.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <7970@watlion.UUCP> pgtrubey@watlion.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know what happened to a program called Servant?
>I think Andy Hertzfield (sp?) was programming it.

I saw Hertzfeld speak about a week ago and he mentioned that he was still
working on it from time to time.  He said that there would be one more
intermediate release, and then a final release.  He also said that it
appears that Apple will not use Servant.  Instead they'll release Juggler,
which is evidently a new multi-tasking finder that they are working on.

Details on Juggler are hard to come by, as Apple has made people sign a
non-disclosure agreement regarding it.

Sam Cramer	uucp:	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer
		arpanet: cramer@sun.com

tim@ism780c.UUCP (04/07/87)

>Details on Juggler are hard to come by, as Apple has made people sign a
>non-disclosure agreement regarding it.

The made people sign non-disclosure agreements about the II also, and
look what happened.

Come on all you beta sites!  You didn't get in trouble for spilling the
beans about the Mac II, so it is probably safe to tell us what you
know about this new Finder... :-)
--
Tim Smith			"And if you want to be me, be me
uucp: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim	 And if you want to be you, be you