[comp.sys.mac] Megamax C compiler

LOGANJ@BYUVAX.BITNET.UUCP (04/07/87)

Megamax claims to have a new version (3.0d) of their C compiler that is
compatible with the Mac SE and Mac II.  I sent them my master disk and
they sent me a copy.  I haven't used it on a Mac SE or Mac II yet.  I was
told that the old version will not work with the new operating systems
because Apple has changed the conventions of some of the system globals
that Megamax was using.  The new version of Megamax C has other
improvements.

Regards,
jim

woody@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <8704071446.AA00584@jade.berkeley.edu> LOGANJ@BYUVAX.BITNET writes:
>Megamax claims to have a new version (3.0d) of their C compiler that is
>compatible with the Mac SE and Mac II.  I sent them my master disk and
>they sent me a copy.  I haven't used it on a Mac SE or Mac II yet.  I was
>told that the old version will not work with the new operating systems
>because Apple has changed the conventions of some of the system globals
>that Megamax was using.  The new version of Megamax C has other
>improvements.

Specifically, the global at 0x02D6 was changed from "BasicGlobs" (documented
only through rumour and not in IM) to "ExtendedMem" in the Mac II.  Megamax
uses this global to place a copy of A4 for various reasons (as in A4 was
used as a pointer to the C global variables and string variables).  Thus,
when any program compiled with the Megamax compiler ran on the Mac II, the
Mac II died in initialization.

I patched my copy of version 3.0a to work with the Mac II.  If anyone's
interested, I'll send them instructions to patch their compiler.  I don't
guarentee the patch; it's only a temporary holdover until I get an updated
version from Megamax.

For those who can't wait...
- William Woody                          Mac! > ][n && /|\
  woody@tybalt.caltech.edu
  woody@juliet.caltech.edu