[comp.sys.mac] Runlist from Finder

kleef@ark.UUCP (04/06/87)

No doubt, I just love my new Macintosh SE. I already had some experience
with the Mac and its user-interface, but now I own my own Mac SE, and
use it intensively every day, I like the machine more and more.

Nevertheless, I have a suggestion for a future Finder. Although I have
all my most frequently used programs in seperate windows on boot-up,
I would like a sort of 'runlist' in the Finder menu, from where I
can load and start one of a selected group of programs. My internal
harddisk already contains more than 8 megabytes worth of programs and
as the number of frequently used programs increases, the desktop gets
crowded more and more.

On the IBM-PC you can make a couple of batch-files with which you can run
your favorite program from anywhere on the harddisk. This is very useful
and although the Mac is much easier in its filemanipulation than the PC,
a runlist with a similar function as the MS-Dos batchfiles could come in
quite handy.

The runlist should -on selection of program- set the folder of that
particular program as the current directory and then run the program.
Now, whenever I opened a window other than the ones selected on start-up,
I have to close that window to bring the one I want into front and then
start the desired program. This could be done faster with a runlist in
the finder menu, I think.

Did Apple consider this? I think MouseDesk on the //-family has that sort
of function.

Paul Molenaar

snell@orstcs2.UUCP (04/10/87)

This is already possible.

Consider the Transfer menu that can be found in TML Pascal package or other
similar packages.  It allows you to run selected programs without leaving the program and without having to open up a lot of windows.

Great, but thats only in those programs right!!? NOOOO.  Two years ago someone
wrote a Desk Accessory to do the same thing.  You can use a MiniFinder in the
same fashion, ie use the OPEN OTHER option.

Finally, you might just alter the finder and include the code for the transfer
menu with it.

Oh don't forget, Swither will allow you to set different groups of programs for
automatic load up.

I have Switcher files set to load:Red Ryder, MacKermit, Edit, Finder,  or
MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw, Finder, or etc other combminations that I user
togther often.

Good luck
 Vance Snell
 A true Beaver Believer
 Oregon State University....

dudek@utai.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <957@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@ark.UUCP writes:
>Nevertheless, I have a suggestion for a future Finder. Although I have
>all my most frequently used programs in seperate windows on boot-up,
>I would like a sort of 'runlist' in the Finder menu, from where I
>can load and start one of a selected group of programs. ...

    I feel a bit ashamed of blowing my own horn like this, but my
"MIND" reminders program includes a feature whereby as you exit any
program you can:
   a) hold down a pre-selected key to transfer directly to another
      program (this is your "runlist")
or
   b) transfer to an arbitrary program
      via a standard file dialog.
    This can be done as the system boots up skipping the initial
visit to Finder.

    Unfortunately, the version of MIND last posted to usenet was rather
obsolete & buggy, and I can't get through to mod.mac.  Does
net.sources.mac still get distributed?  I'll post there if I get some
requests.
  Greg Dudek
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek

marct@crash.UUCP (04/13/87)

The new version of DiskTop 2.0, from CE Software has a lot of new features,
including a runlist of any FILES or APPLICATIONS you want.

The new version really is useful now, it can do just about everything the
finder can do plus it can change file attributes, name, location (folder)
but it is only for registered users, its $20 to register, and it's really
worth it.  It also comes with some other utility programs, and some nice
postscript files to download, to show off your Laserwriter.

I'm just a happy customer, and noticed that you were looking for a
DA with a transfer list....

     - Marc Tamsky                      Sinners can repent,
                                        but stupid is forever.
ARPA: crash!marct@nosc                       - Fortune Cookie
INET: marct@crash.CTS.COM
UUCP: {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!marct

fdot@sphinx.UUCP (04/13/87)

Why not move the icon of the program (or file) you want to have handy
to the desktop, for easy double-clicking?

						--Tom Lippincott
						..ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!fdot

"As you know, my defensive circuitry was damaged in the last storm.  Therefore,
you have twenty seconds to activate all defensive systems manually.  Thank
you for observing all saftey precautions."