[comp.sys.mac] 1200 baud modems

waldman@husc4.UUCP (04/12/87)

Although I'm sure this topic has been discussed on the net before, I've just
started reading the net recently, so I hope you'll bear with me.

I'd like to buy a 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem for my Mac 512, and I'd
like to do it as cheaply as possible, while still getting a decent modem.
I've seen lots of ads in magazines, with prices as low as $120 or so, but I
have no ideas how good any of these modems are.

Can those of you with knowledge in this area help me out?  Information about
a good brand to get, as well as a place to get it cheaply would be very much
appreciated.
						Thanks,
						Ben Waldman
						waldman@husc4.harvard.edu

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (04/14/87)

In article <1645@husc6.UUCP>, waldman@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (benjamin waldman) writes:
> I'd like to buy a 1200 baud Hayes compatible modem for my Mac 512, and I'd
> like to do it as cheaply as possible, while still getting a decent modem.
> I've seen lots of ads in magazines, with prices as low as $120 or so, but I
> have no ideas how good any of these modems are.

I really can't comment on reliability as I haven't received it yet, but last
week I ordered a Migent Pocket Modem and paid only $99 plus sh/hand.  Take a
look in a recent issue of PC-Week or PC Magazine for the ad.  It's smaller
than a 3x5 card, runs on a 9-volt battery or AC, does 300/1200 baud, and is
fully Hayes compatible.  It's supposed to plug directly into a PC's 25 pin
serial port, so you'll need a short cable to plug it into a Mac.

I ordered it from Warehouse Data Products in Arizona.  You can find their
800 number in any PC-related magazine.  I've ordered from them before
and they're very cooperative and friendly.

Standard disclaimer:  I don't have any connections with any money-making
organization... yet.

  Evan Bauman
  Dep't of Chem. Eng.
  Univ. of Notre Dame
  ..!seismo!iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan

kiyun@prism.UUCP (04/15/87)

I just saw an ad for the Migent Pocket Modem in the May MacWorld and
called the company.  They say it is fully Hayes compatible with some
additional capabilities from the Hayes 2400.  It plugs directly into a
25-pin serial port, and they supply a 9->25 pin cable (probably for the
PC/AT).  It comes with a one-year warranty which you can extend to
three years for about $20.  It runs off a 9-volt battery or an AC
converter (supplied).  The retail price is $259, and I imagine you
can get it for less.  Finally, the person I spoke to said that the same
technology that makes it so small also enhances its reliability.

Since I happen to be in the market for a modem, I'm very intrigued, but
I can get an Apple Personal Modem for $284.  I have two questions:

(1) How well does the Pocket Modem work?  As I understand it, modems
    vary in their ability to reject noise and pull in weak signals.

(2) How difficult is it to find a Mac 8 to 25 pin cable (or a Mac 8 to
    9 pin cable) that will work with this modem?

----
KiYun Roe	kiyun@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!kiyun
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA  02140
Telephone:	617-661-0777 Ext. 140