[comp.sys.mac] Bad Master Directory Block on HFS - volumes ???

jnp@daimi.UUCP (J|rgen N|rgaard) (04/06/87)

I have a serious problem, namely a diskette with a Bad Master Directory Block
on a HFS-volume, and "Disk Firstaid" can't repair the volume, neither can
MacTools or FEdit at least the versions I got. Which tool to use ??

Any help will be appreciated.

--
			Regards J|rgen N|rgaard
				e-mail: jnp@daimi.UUCP

au@eagle.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <625@daimi.UUCP> jnp@daimi.UUCP () writes:

>I have a serious problem, namely a diskette with a Bad Master Directory Block
>on a HFS-volume, and "Disk Firstaid" can't repair the volume, neither can
>MacTools or FEdit at least the versions I got. Which tool to use ??

Yes this happened to me a while back - I used Fedit+ - you basically have to
go through every sector of the disc with the "disc info" option on and
writing down which sectors belong to which files - then rebuilding the
files byhand on a another floppy.  Arrrg it's a pain.

Unfortunatly one file (a dictionary) vanished and I couldn't find it again!

Has anyone else had this problem - I'm running the new SE system/finder
on a 512/800 with external floppy?

Antony Upward

ukc!au
au@ukc.ac.uk
au@ukc
...1mcvax!ukc!au

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (04/14/87)

In article <625@daimi.UUCP>, jnp@daimi.UUCP (J|rgen N|rgaard) writes:
> I have a serious problem, namely a diskette with a Bad Master
> Directory Block on a HFS-volume, and "Disk Firstaid" can't repair the
> volume, neither can MacTools or FEdit at least the versions I got.
> Which tool to use ??
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

The same thing happened to me a while back.  I took it to a supposed
Mac Expert, who used FEdit to get small amounts of text only blocks
back.  This was completely unsatisfactory.  Then I heard about MacZap.
It works.  It scans the disk, apparently repairing (or skipping over?)
the Directory Block.  You then can recover individual files, although
the file names themselves are lost.  I realize that this is a pain in
the ass if you have a lot of files on a disk, but having to recover
every file, open it, and rename it is a lot better than losing all
your files!  And, all the formatting in the files comes back intact.

I bought MacZap for $45 at the local store.  From what I've seen in
the magazines, it sells for $60 mail-order from the company.  I only
used this thing once (I've since learned my lesson and back up
everything!), and I'd be willing to sell my copy for $30 to anyone
who wants it (with manual, and I still have the registration form).

(I hope it's legal and o.k. to mention this on the net.  I've seen
consignment sales in computer stores, so I guess it's o.k. to re-sell
software, but I'm not sure about advertising this sort of thing on
the net.  If this isn't cool, please be charitable and don't bitch
at me.  If it's o.k., buy this program from me--I need the money!)

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (04/15/87)

Does this mean MacZap has a user interface and a manual?  When I purchased
the MFS version 18 months ago it was pitiful on both accounts and utterly
unusable by 95% of the buyers -- almost as bad as MacNosy. :-)
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

peter@entropy.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <2987@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> Does this mean MacZap has a user interface and a manual?  When I purchased
> the MFS version 18 months ago it was pitiful on both accounts and utterly
> unusable by 95% of the buyers -- almost as bad as MacNosy. :-)
The new version (that supports HFS) has a much improved manual. The file
recovery program has *some* interface, but basically it chunks away on
its own until it gets you some answers.

Peter Guttorp
peter@entropy.ms.washington.edu

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <2987@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> Does this mean MacZap has a user interface and a manual?  When I
> purchased the MFS version 18 months ago it was pitiful on both
> accounts and utterly unusable by 95% of the buyers -- almost as bad
> as MacNosy. :-)

Yes, the HFS version comes with a manual, and the new interface works
real well.  (Apparently the guy here in Austin who wrote the program
finally got his s**t together.)  It also comes with a bunch of patches
for putting copy-protected programs on a hard disk as well as a lot
of other stuff I don't know what to do with (looks like FEdit-type
stuff).

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (04/16/87)

In article <2987@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (me) writes:
> > Does this mean MacZap has a user interface and a manual?  When I purchased
> > the MFS version 18 months ago it was pitiful on both accounts and utterly
> > unusable by 95% of the buyers -- almost as bad as MacNosy. :-)

And MacNosy now has a manual, if not a user interface.  I saw one tonight,
and although I didn't have a chance to read it, I did check one thing--
someone other than Steve Jasik wrote it.  Not that he couldn't write
a manual (I don't know) but it's quite obvious he wouldn't.