[comp.sys.mac] MacDraw/MacPaint file formats

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <viper.805> john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:

>  I'd like to try doing some "tricky-stuff" with a few MacPaint and/or
>MacDraw files I have.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the file format
>is on either one.  If you have documentation on either would you please
>send it to me...?
>
>  Tanks...!

The format of a macpaint picture is found in the mac
technical notes.  As a quick summary, it is stored as
a packed bitmap of the whole page.  To get to it, you have
to call Unpackbits for each line.  Some sample code for this
is also in the tech notes.  As for Macdraw, I think that it
is stored as a picture with comments to show where the objects
are, but I am not sure.

Good luck

    May the force be with you !

Allan Foster   afoster@ogcvax.

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (04/16/87)

>>  I'd like to try doing some "tricky-stuff" with a few MacPaint and/or
>>MacDraw files I have.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the file format
>>is on either one.  If you have documentation on either would you please
>>send it to me...?

See the following Mac Technical Notes:

Mac Tech Note #86, dated 19 Aug 86, MacPaint Document Format
Mac Tech Note #27, dated 20 Aug 86, MacDraw's PICT File format and Comments

Unfortunately, I am unable to send you a copy of the notes, as mine are on
paper.

---
Wiliam C. DenBesten           |CSNET denbeste@research1.bgsu.edu
Dept of Computer Science      |ARPA  denbeste%research1.bgsu.edu@csnet-relay
Bowling Green State University|UUCP  ...!cbatt!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!denbeste
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0214  |
There is no difference between theory and practice in theory, but there is
often a great deal of difference between theory and practice in practice.