[comp.sys.mac] SCSI cable question, please HELP!

fmr@mcvax.cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (04/14/87)

After searching every available text/manual about SCSI(products) I still
can't find an answer to a very simple question:
What type of cable do I have to use to connect SCSI devices?
In detail, does a (un)shielded 50wire flatcable do the job and up to
which maximum length. Or do I need a shielded  50wire twisted cable.
Any other possibilities? I _know_ there are ready made SCSI cables available
but they are 1) much too expensive 2) here in the Netherlands nobody even
ever heard about such a thing and I'm getting tired of explaining just
what a SCSI cable is. I would much prefer the flatcable with press on
connectors to be a viable solution but I'm not shure if it's all right.
ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

anson@elrond.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <1704@mcvax.cwi.nl> fmr@mcvax.cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
>What type of cable do I have to use to connect SCSI devices?
>In detail, does a (un)shielded 50wire flatcable do the job and up to
>which maximum length. Or do I need a shielded  50wire twisted cable.

Flat cable, up to 2 or 3 meters long, is generally acceptable for SCSI.
Of course, if you have an unusually noisy environment, or other EMI problems,
shielding may be necessary.

Don't you wish all peripheral manufacturers shipped cables with their
equipment?
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      UUCP:  [decvax, wanginst, savax]!elrond!anson
   (Just blame me;  my boss isn't even certain about just what I do.)

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (04/20/87)

In article <1704@mcvax.cwi.nl> fmr@mcvax.cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:
>After searching every available text/manual about SCSI(products) I still
>can't find an answer to a very simple question:
>What type of cable do I have to use to connect SCSI devices?
>In detail, does a (un)shielded 50wire flatcable do the job and up to
>which maximum length. Or do I need a shielded  50wire twisted cable.

The Tecmar MacDrive uses SCSI drives internally.  I've opened one up and
it uses just vanilla flat wire with crimp-on connectors.  In hopes of
using the drives from this box, I'm having a six foot flat wire cable made
up (D-style on one end, dual in-line on the other) and we'll see if it
works daisy-chained to a HD20SC.

In my experience, if the cable is terminated at all the right places, one
could comfortably run 25 feet, but I'd stick to Apple's configuration limits
to start out!

Rob Lake