[comp.sys.mac] Graphing Programs

kah120@ihlpe.UUCP (04/14/87)

[]

Anyone know of a commercially (or PD) available product like Cricket
Graph which can handle making plots on a semilog scale.  I am interested
in plotting frequency response curves for some amplifiers and would like
to be able to use my Mac to do this.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Ken Heitke   ihnp4!ihlpe!kah120

woo@pioneer.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <1697@ihlpe.ATT.COM> kah120@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Heitke) writes:
>[]
>
>Anyone know of a commercially (or PD) available product like Cricket
>Graph which can handle making plots on a semilog scale.  I am interested
>in plotting frequency response curves for some amplifiers and would like
>to be able to use my Mac to do this.

Version 1.2 or later of QUICKPLOT will make semilog plots.  It is
faster than Cricket Graph but with fewer options.  For more
information, write

		Desktop Engineering
		P.O. Box 2401
		Stanford,CA 94305

The best part is that the program only cost $39.95.

Alex Woo

Disclaimer:  I am associated with the authors of this program and
therefore very biased.

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (04/22/87)

In article <1697@ihlpe.ATT.COM> kah120@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Heitke) writes:
>Anyone know of a commercially (or PD) available product like Cricket
>Graph which can handle making plots on a semilog scale.  I am interested

I got the impression from the above that Cricket Graph does not do
semi-log plots. In fact, it does. (double click on the axis and push
the log button)...
...but wait!
I was going to announce this only when it was heading out the door,
but now seems like a good time. I've been beta testing TS Graph, and
it is very solid at this point. (the manual is still being worked, and
that is the holdup now, about 1 or 2 weeks).

What is it?

It is a basic graphing program more appropriate for the sciences,
offering more flexibility and control with regard to the appearance of
graphs. It was written in response to the fact that existing graphing
packages always fell short in one way or another, and usually a trip
through MacDraw was necessary to produce a graph suitable for making
a slide, overhead, or manuscript figure.

Basic features:
 o Input data through clipboard or type in data window. Multiple columns.
 o Line, scatter, bar or column graphs, area, stacked bars/columns or a
   combination.
 o Up to 10 columns of data plotted at once with a second, independent
   Y axis available.
 o Graphs and data are stored in the same file. Multiple graphs per file.
 o Actual size and reduced-to-fit views, with full functionality in both.
 o Sort data, column math, column conversions (trig, logs, e^x, etc) and
   averaging with st. dev.
 o Text, boxes, lines, arrows placed anywhere.
 o Linear, log and exponential curve fitting.
 o Error bars for x or y, from various sources.
 o Multiple files open. cut/copy/paste data segments. Copy graph for export.
 o Print full page graphs to ImageWriter or LaserWriter.
 o Graphs are updated to changes made in data.

Neat features often not found in other packages:
 o Handles missing data correctly.
 o Will plot a 'circle' (see MacUser bug of the month).
 o Select data across columns, as in a spreadsheet.
 o Text can have super/subscripts, can be arbitrary sizes, and can be
   rotated.
 o Column/Bar graphs can be forced into catagories by using text as the x
   variable, or they can follow numbers for x, just as points do.
 o Can control axis widths, tick mark lengths and widths, point sizes,
   line widths, all by small increments.
 o Exponential curves are real curves on LaserWriter output (not a whole
   mess of itty-bitty straight lines).
 o Axes can be moved anywhere. Ticks and/or numbers can be all around.

Now the best part. The price hasn't been fixed yet, but expect it to be
around $15 - $25.

For info, the author can be contacted:
        Don Trimbur
        Dept. of Microbiology
        Stocking Hall
        Cornell University
        Ithaca, NY 14853
        607/255-2420
 or send me mail.
I guess you can tell I'm impressed with it.

Dis/Claimer and caveat time: The author's a friend of mine (no financial
connection, however), and there are facets of this program I haven't
tested (of course, there are other testers), so consider this to be an
announcement for your info, not a review.
(PS: my apologies if you got this twice-first post had incorrect zip code)
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca, NY 14853