[comp.sys.mac] Speedy floating point options

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (04/22/87)

Some folks here have need for the floating point speed of Fortran
but would rather not write a complete mac interface in MacFortran
if possible, so...
- Has anyone succeded in calling the fortran fp routines from another
  lanquage?
- Anyone written speedy fp routines in assembly they'd like to share?
- Is there a Fortran compatible with MPW?
- Is McFace so nice that writing an interface in Fortran is a pleasant
  and rewarding experience?
- Is there another solution I'm missing?  Please note that hardware
upgrades are not acceptable. They want their program to perform
reasonably on a vanilla Mac.
thanks in advance for any and all info..

 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca, NY 14853

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (04/23/87)

In article <789@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> Ron Beloin writes:
>Some folks here have need for the floating point speed of Fortran
>but would rather not write a complete mac interface in MacFortran>
>if possible, so...

You might want to check "MacTran" out. I just saw a demo of it today,
and my impression is that it provides "easy" access to most Toolbox
stuff. The program provides a well integrated debugger/editor/compiler
environment as well.

For information contact DCM Data Products, 817-870-2202. MacTran is $199
but discounts are available for educational uses and bulk purchases...

I am in no way involved with these people, I'm just passing the info along.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu