[comp.sys.mac] Juggler...

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (04/09/87)

One is required to sign non-disclosure forms for Juggler before you can use
it?

I found a copy of Juggler sitting on a bulletin board in Massachusettes, so I
downloaded it.  I can't use it, unfortunately, because it requires the 128K
ROMs ("Get the 128K ROM, Tom."  Who's Tom?).  So, I'm stuck until I can find
a friend with a Mac Plus he'd be willing to let me borrow for a few hours...

So, do I have something I'm not supposed to be seeing and should I immediately
destroy all copies of this that I have?  Or should I send it off to the
moderator of mod.mac.binaries and let him post it for all to see?  Apple?
--
"Slipping and a-sliding..."              Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

P.S.
   Finder 6.0a4, which is to be used with Juggler, is kind of neat.  I'm not
sure if I like cloverleaf-Q for Shut Down, though.  I think Apple may have got
a bit rabid during their "Let's make cloverleaf equivalents" binge...

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (04/13/87)

I've seen Juggler, and I think it came from the same place -- a bb somewhere.
(Someone in my user's group gave me a copy.)

	I don't see anything wrong with USING it, but I think that
distributing it is the wrong thing to do. It seems to be highly experimental
software.

	If people had to sign nondisclosure agreements to have it, (or
whatever), I don't think it should be on mod.mac.binaries, or archived on
Info-Mac, or publicly available at all.

	The message about "Get the 128K ROM, Tom" is just a wise-*ss rhyme;
when I first ran it (on my Mac Plus), it said "Make the System Heap 128K,
Ray".

One finds oneself squeezed; I have a 96K cache, and I'm using Lightspeed
Pascal, which likes memory to play with (I set stack space for my program to
16K, and heap space to 256K), so I'm not exactly swimming in heap space...

		--Rich

kleef@ark.UUCP (04/14/87)

In article <MS.V3.18.rs4u.80020be4.lamar.sun3.2010.9@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>I've seen Juggler, and I think it came from the same place -- a bb somewhere.
>(Someone in my user's group gave me a copy.)
>
>	I don't see anything wrong with USING it, but I think that
>distributing it is the wrong thing to do. It seems to be highly experimental
>software.
>

>		--Rich

Yeah, but what does it DO??? What does it look like?
The only thing I read about Juggler is that it is some
sort of multi-tasking Finder and 'out and about' in a
pre(pre-pre?) release form?

Can any1 enlighten me on the workings of this Juggler-joy?

PS I wouldn't mind being mailed a file by that name ;)

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (04/15/87)

try looking at Juggler with Resedit (for those of you who have it)...
Interesting, no?

ZZ

ali@rocky.UUCP (04/22/87)

At Stanford's "MacFest" yesterday someone asked about the Juggler.
The response from Apple was that Apple realizes there are problems with the
Switcher and there is work going on to create a more robust and better
"multitasking-style" finder. "You might see more developments within
the next year to 18 months."

BTW, "Juggler" is the name of the ray-traced, 4096-color
character that juggles three transparent spheres on the Amiga. (In the
Amiga world he has become as famous as Max Headroom, although he is
not as versatile...)  I wonder if Eric Graham (the creator of the Juggler)
has a copyright on that name? I wonder if Apple can be sued? Hmm...  8-)

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

thomas@spline.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <256@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.UUCP (Ali Ozer) writes:
>BTW, "Juggler" is the name of the ray-traced, 4096-color
>character that juggles three transparent spheres on the Amiga.
> ...  I wonder if Eric Graham (the creator of the Juggler)
>has a copyright on that name? I wonder if Apple can be sued? Hmm...  8-)

Probably not.  It would have to be a trademark, not a copyright (you
can't copyright a word, but you can copyright a particular rendition
of it, if it's original enough).  A trademark can only be violated by
something that is "close enough" to the original for confusion.  Thus,
if I trademark my "fooflish" running shoes, and you come out with a
"fooflish" stereo system, there is probably no trademark violation.
Of course, if you have a paranoid legal department...

Besides, Apple has not announced a *product* called Juggler - who
knows what it will be named when it actually comes out.

=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@cs.utah.edu)