[comp.sys.mac] Dove memory upgrades

jao@k.cc.purdue.edu (John A O'Malley) (04/20/87)

In article cl1x#@andrew.cmu.edu (Chin-Yo Kenny Lin) writes:

>                          Now, if only my 512 ==> 1mb Dove upgrade (ordered
>from Programs Plus) can get here before I die....

I don't mean to be discouraging or pessimistic, but I seem to remember hearing
or reading somewhere (perhaps a Mac magazine) not too long ago about some
common problems occurring amongst Dove memory upgrade owners.  Something about
the clip-on method or Dove's components not being too reliable.

I have a 128-turned-512-by-a-3rd-party Macintosh (unenhanced) and I was thinking
about buying the Dove upgrade because
	1. it's the least expensive on the market, and
	2. it doesn't require physical alteration of the logic board.

Has anyone else heard anything negative (or positive, while I'm at it) about
the Dove upgrade?  Also, does anyone know if it's compatible with both the
512 and the 512 Enhanced?

John O'Malley
----------------------------------------------------------k.cc.purdue.edu!jao
Personal Computing Learning | Math-Science B-4  | West Lafayette, IN  47907
  Resource Center (PCLRC)   | Purdue University | (317) 494-1787 ext 271

bc@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (bill coderre) (04/21/87)

I was the one who posted the bad experiences with Dove MacSnap memory
upgrades. I claimed their chip clips were poorly done, resulting in
poor contact.

Well, that was several months ago, and Dove claims to have improved.
The one MacSnap which a local dealer got working is still functioning
flawlessly, in a Hyperdrive no less. (Most other upgrades don't claim
Hyper compatibility.)

My suggestion: find a local dealer who swears up and down that they
can install MacSnaps no problem. Then pay her a reasonable amount of
money to prove her assertion.

And let us know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bc

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (04/24/87)

In article <981@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, bc@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (bill coderre) writes:
> I was the one who posted the bad experiences with Dove MacSnap memory
> upgrades. I claimed their chip clips were poorly done, resulting in
> poor contact.
>
> Well, that was several months ago, and Dove claims to have improved.
> The one MacSnap which a local dealer got working is still functioning
> flawlessly, in a Hyperdrive no less. (Most other upgrades don't claim
> Hyper compatibility.)
>
> My suggestion: find a local dealer who swears up and down that they
> can install MacSnaps no problem. Then pay her a reasonable amount of
> money to prove her assertion.
>
> And let us know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bc

I just tried to get the 2MB upgrade for a 515KE with 10MB
Hyperdrive.  Dove makes a special version of this that they
say is compatible with the Hyperdrive.  The first unit they sent
was indeed marked as the Hyperdrive version, but it wasn't.  It
went back.  They sent a new one.  The dealer tried to install it.
He couldn't.  After three calls to Dove, he has given up, and
will no longer sell Dove upgrades (they don't carry Hyperdrives
anymore either).  On the last call to Dove the dealer suggested
my Mac be sent back to Dove for the installation, but they declined.

Could be Dove's upgrades for normal (non-Hyperdrive) machines are
a good product; I can't say.  I believe MacDoctor is supposed to
be making a Hyperdrive compatible upgrade.  I will give them a call
this morning to see.  (I used one of their upgrade kits before for
a 128 to 512 upgrade; worked fine.)

If all else fails, I will get the Plus upgrade.  It's just that with
the Hyperdrive (which I haven't had any real problems with) I don't
need the SCSI port, and while the DIN-8s may be cute (in the
Macintosh tradition?), the DB-9s are what I'm cabled for now.

Still sort on memory,
Cliff

--
Cliff Loucks   cmcl2!lanl!unm-la!unmvax!sandia!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labortories, Albuquerque, New Mexico