[comp.sys.mac] BeepInit bug!

harrow@exodus.dec.com.UUCP (04/23/87)

I recently attempted to install the BeepInit INIT resource into the new
System 4.0, and the disk would no longer boot.

I contacted the author (the same people who bring you SoundCap) and they
advised me that there IS some incompatability between the current
BeepInit and System 4, and they are looking into it at this time.

Hope this saves someone else some effort.

Sincerely,

Jeff Harrow, Digital Equipment Corporation

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (04/24/87)

In article <9458@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16  Boxborough  DTN=293-5128) writes:
> I recently attempted to install the BeepInit INIT resource into the new
> System 4.0, and the disk would no longer boot.
> Jeff Harrow, Digital Equipment Corporation

   There is definately another bug in the beepinit stuff since I find that
if many beeps come too fast together, the system can freeze. This system
will be frozen so that not even the interrupt button (with TMON installed)
will recover, a reboot is required. Users can easily reproduce this by
bringing up the control panel and merely pressing on the volume control
slide bar a few times in quick succession. While this doesn't affect most
programs since few generate beeps rapidly, terminal emulation does run
into problems since hosts can generate lots of beeps.
David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (04/26/87)

In article <9458@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16  Boxborough  DTN=293-5128) writes:
> I recently attempted to install the BeepInit INIT resource into the new
> System 4.0, and the disk would no longer boot.
>
> I contacted the author (the same people who bring you SoundCap) and they
> advised me that there IS some incompatability between the current
> BeepInit and System 4, and they are looking into it at this time.

I'm using the BeepInit that was modified to work as an init 31 file
in the system folder and it seems to work fine.  I got it off of
MACUS DL2.

Cheers,
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Supervisor of Systems Support				Compuserve: 73047,741