[comp.sys.mac] Classic Mac operation with programming for SE or Mac ][?

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 Boxborough DTN=293-5128) (04/27/87)

I have just  finished  (my  first) reading of Inside Mac Vol.  5,
which details the  new  toolbox  routines  for the SE and Mac ][.
These include use of the new script package, color, and other new
goodies.

My question is this:   If  you program an application to be fully
functional on the top of the line machine (Mac ][) which requires
that you make use of the NEW  calls  and structures such as COLOR
grafports, textedit Style resources, etc, HOW WILL THESE PROGRAMS
BEHAVE WHEN RUN ON ONE OF THE "CLASSIC" MACS?

Will  it be necessary to write conditional (yuk!) code  into  the
programs so that IF CLASSIC THEN ...  ELSE ...    or has Apple, in
their usual tremendously successful efforts at compatibility come
up with some method  that  these  NEW  calls will somehow operate
in the OLD way when run on a "Classic Mac?"

Thanks.

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

dgold@apple.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <9529@decwrl.DEC.COM> harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16  Boxborough  DTN=293-5128) writes:
>My question is this:   If  you program an application to be fully
>functional on the top of the line machine (Mac ][) which requires
>that you make use of the NEW  calls  and structures such as COLOR
>grafports, textedit Style resources, etc, HOW WILL THESE PROGRAMS
>BEHAVE WHEN RUN ON ONE OF THE "CLASSIC" MACS?
>
>Will  it be necessary to write conditional (yuk!) code  into  the
>programs so that IF CLASSIC THEN ...  ELSE ...    or has Apple, in
>their usual tremendously successful efforts at compatibility come
>up with some method  that  these  NEW  calls will somehow operate
>in the OLD way when run on a "Classic Mac?"

Some of the new features have been backpatched onto 128K ROM machines.
Basically, most of the new functions (TextEdit, Menu Manager, etc) are
available on anything with 128K or later ROMs running System 4.1 or
later.  This is not true for any of the color functions; these are
available only on the Mac II, so I'm afraid that "yuk!" is the order
of the day.

--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith