[comp.sys.mac] Versaterm 3.0

jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/24/87)

In article <1519@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
>    VersaTerm 3.0, the March 21 1987 version allows the user to scroll by
>using the following keyboard equivalents:
>  Command - uparrow     move up one screenfull
>  Command - downarrow   move down one screenfull
>  Command - leftarrow   move the thumb to the top of the scrollbar
>  Command - downarrow   move the thumb to the bottom of the scrollbar
>
>  I find these equivalents to be excellent. Personally I wish all programs
>had similar equivalents.

	That's the second time I came across VersaTerm 3.0 (as opposed to
2.30 that we have here).  We haven't received notification yet.  Any one
know when/how to get the upgrade?  Other comments welcome.

Thanks,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
(716) 636-3191, 3180

UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@buffalo-cs
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs
GE: jmpiazza

sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) (04/27/87)

In article <3121@sunybcs.UUCP>, jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:

> 	That's the second time I came across VersaTerm 3.0 (as opposed to
> 2.30 that we have here).  We haven't received notification yet.  Any one
> know when/how to get the upgrade?  Other comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	joe piazza

As good a product as VersaTerm is (and it's GRRREAT!!), the folks at
Peripherals Computers and Supplies who distribute it are TERRIBLE at
notifying users about updates.  I guess they rely on word-of-mouth
(word-of-net?) to get the job done.

Upgrading is easy.  All you have to do is send them a letter saying that
you'd like the latest version.  Make sure that your letter contains the
serial number(s) from your original disks so that they can reference the
little card you sent them when you first purchased VersaTerm.  (You DID
send them that little card, didn't you?)  The cost:  $10 American per
disk to be updated.  They also send you an addendum to the manual with
all the info you need for using the new bells and whistles.

Their address:
	Peripherals Computers and Supplies, Inc.
	2457 Perkiomen Avenue
	Mt. Penn, PA 19606
	Phone:  215/779-0522

Happy hunting!

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihlpa!sebruun

howard@amdahl.UUCP (The Toolmaster) (04/27/87)

In article <3737@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) writes:

>As good a product as VersaTerm is (and it's GRRREAT!!), the folks at
>Peripherals Computers and Supplies who distribute it are TERRIBLE at
>notifying users about updates.  I guess they rely on word-of-mouth
>(word-of-net?) to get the job done.

Actually, they seem to rely on MacWorld most of the time.  One of the
first things I do when a new issue hits the stands is see if there is a
Versaterm advert. and what Version its touting (and what new features).
I was primed and ready for the 3.0 upgrade since I got a preview of its
capabilities at the S.F. MacExpo by Lonnie himself.

>Upgrading is easy.  All you have to do is send them a letter saying that
>you'd like the latest version.  Make sure that your letter contains the
>serial number(s) from your original disks so that they can reference the
>little card you sent them when you first purchased VersaTerm.  (You DID
>send them that little card, didn't you?)  The cost:  $10 American per
>disk to be updated.  They also send you an addendum to the manual with
>all the info you need for using the new bells and whistles.

I always used to call them and let them charge my Visa, but with the last
upgrade they no longer will charge upgrades to credit cards so it cost me
an extra few bucks in COD charges when it got here. ( I wondered why they
sent me an invoice, but it didn't mention not charging the Visa.  The
invoice in the box had the explanatory scribble on it. )

>Their address:
>	Peripherals Computers and Supplies, Inc.
>	2457 Perkiomen Avenue
>	Mt. Penn, PA 19606
>	Phone:  215/779-0522

Now some side comments:  This program just keeps getting better and better.
One of the new features in 3.0 is the ability to double click on a word on
the screen and have it automatically copy/pasted to the host.  Imagine this:

In vt100 emulation, split the screen into two scrolling regions with a whole
menu of words written in the inactive region.  Bingo, automatic mouse-based
menu interface for host programs.  A little curses and Versaterm can go a
long way towards making a simpler host interface for users without a lot of
the usual programming.

Just thought I'd mention this stuff because Versaterm is getting so powerful
and flexible that everyone is probably developing new and unique ways of
using it.
--
"Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
    are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in my next article ]

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <3121@sunybcs.UUCP>, jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
> In article <1519@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:
> >    VersaTerm 3.0, the March 21 1987 version allows the user to scroll by
> >using the following keyboard equivalents:
> >  Command - uparrow     move up one screenfull
> >  Command - downarrow   move down one screenfull
> >  Command - leftarrow   move the thumb to the top of the scrollbar
> >  Command - downarrow   move the thumb to the bottom of the scrollbar
..
> 	That's the second time I came across VersaTerm 3.0 (as opposed to
> 2.30 that we have here).  We haven't received notification yet.  Any one
> know when/how to get the upgrade?  Other comments welcome.
> 	joe piazza
    Updates to VersaTerm are always available by contacting:
Peripherals Computers and Supplies, Inc.
2457 Perkiomen Ave.
Mt. Penn, PA  19606
215-779-0522

    By calling you can order the update to the most recent VersaTerm
or VersaTerm Pro (if you have that) for $10. I've never had them send me
a notice, I look in the magazine ads and find that there is a new version,
then order it. While it would be nice to be notified, I find that the updates
are so much more frequent than any other program I have (and these are NOT
bugfixes but rather are new features!) that the service provided by frequent
updates more than offsets the lack of notification.
    David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (04/28/87)

In article <6391@amdahl.UUCP>, howard@amdahl.UUCP (The Toolmaster) writes:
> In article <3737@ihlpa.ATT.COM> sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) writes:
   With all the postings about VersaTerm 3.0 I can't resist mentioning another
new feature which Lonnie Abelbeck told me is now in the most recent release. A
Although he supported the SE keyboard in an earlier REV, the latest one
allows the user to configure VersaTerm so that the SE keyboard uses the
REAL control key as a control key. The initial configuration is to use
both the Control key and the command key to generate Control characters.
This can be changed to allow the command key to generate menu equivalents
and allow the control key to be used exclusively for control characters. When
this setting is made, command key equivalents appear in menu items.
   Since I don't have an SE, I can't verify this at the moment but it looks
like it will be a nice thing for those that have SE's.
   David Gelphman  daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu