[comp.sys.mac] Does Versaterm do custom keymaps?

ch2f#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/28/87)

I played with versaterm a few years ago and decided to use Kermit instead
because Kermit would allow me (via CKMKEY) to define my own mapping of the
keyboard.  Since I interact with several mainframes (all of which have a
different idea about what a VT100 really is) the keymapping option allows me
to customize my terminal for each mainframe.

Since people are now talking about how wonderful Versaterm is, I would like
to switch (Kermit does not allow past/cut from the screen yet, which is a
major handicap).  However, I think I would rather not switch if Versatem will
not allow customizing of the keyboard map.  Does anyone know of a program
that allows:

paste/cut to and from screen
up and download in xmodem, kermit, and 'save/send ascii stream'
custom keyboard mapping
VT100 and/or Zenith-19 emulation
autodial and/or mapping of keys to functions/character strings

I would gladly switch to a program that will do all these things.

Many Thanks,
-Chuck Huff
ch2f@andrew.cmu.edu
or
ch2f@cmuccvma.bitnet

sebruun@ihlpa.UUCP (04/29/87)

In article <YUZDBsy00W0cz680F2@andrew.cmu.edu>, ch2f#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
> paste/cut to and from screen
> up and download in xmodem, kermit, and 'save/send ascii stream'
> custom keyboard mapping
> VT100 and/or Zenith-19 emulation
> autodial and/or mapping of keys to functions/character strings
>
> I would gladly switch to a program that will do all these things.

If you would indeed gladly switch to a program that will do all of these
things, then Lonnie Abelbeck has won another convert.  VersaTerm will do
all of these things and much more.

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihlpa!sebruun

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (04/29/87)

In article <YUZDBsy00W0cz680F2@andrew.cmu.edu>, ch2f#@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Huff) writes:
> ..
> major handicap).  However, I think I would rather not switch if Versatem will
> not allow customizing of the keyboard map.  Does anyone know of a program
> that allows:
> paste/cut to and from screen
> up and download in xmodem, kermit, and 'save/send ascii stream'
> custom keyboard mapping
> VT100 and/or Zenith-19 emulation
> autodial and/or mapping of keys to functions/character strings
> -Chuck Huff
       VersaTerm will allow you to do all of the above features EXCEPT
change the keyboard mapping like Kermit. At first I thought this was a
great disadvantage but this was solved by a couple of things:
1. VersaTerm emulates the VT100 keypad on a Mac+ and SE correctly without any
   special configuration stuff. This is what I wanted the kermit mapper to do.
2. VersaTerm does allow mapping the backspace key into delete and visa versa.
   This is one of the things I had to change in the MacTerminal keymap in
   MacTerminal 1.1 and it sure was painful to change it.
3. The commands menu allows you to record commands to be sent to the host and
   they may be tagged as option-letter combinations. As an example I have
   option-i send a key sequence which places our host in 'insert mode'.
   This kind of stuff is VERY easy to do and more complex macros can of course
   be defined (much more complex). The point here is that it is easy to
   add new sequences to be sent to the host and tag them to option-letter.

To summarize: I originally thought I needed a custom keyboard mapping facility
in VersaTerm but I found that the tools provided do the job I personally
needed. That is not to say that others may not find their environment is as
compliant.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.