[comp.sys.mac] Smalltalk80 for Mac from Xerox?

shimono@tkov58.dec.com.UUCP (04/24/87)

  I heard ?ero? (I mean Xerox) annouced Smalltalk80 for Macintosh.
  Does anyone out there have any info on this product?   $500?
   [ IKnowApple'sST80ForMac.  IHaveACopyOfTheVersion0.3. ]

  Than? in advance, Se? in France,
  Takao "Ta?i" Shimono  "Call me Ta?i"  "Call +81 3 9897055"
  /DEC-Japan/SoftwareServices/AITC/studio.h
  UUCP:      {allegra,decva?,ucbva?}!decwrl!tkov58.dec.com!shimono
  JUNET (Japan Uni? NETwork):     shimono@digita.dec-j.junet
  ? is a trademark of Project Hatena in Japan.

vito@trwspf.TRW.COM (Herb Barad) (04/25/87)

In article <9470@decwrl.DEC.COM> shimono@tkov58.dec.com (Takao 'Ta?i' Shimono) writes:

>  I heard ?ero? (I mean Xerox) annouced Smalltalk80 for Macintosh.
>  Does anyone out there have any info on this product?   $500?
>   [ IKnowApple'sST80ForMac.  IHaveACopyOfTheVersion0.3. ]

I have talked to some people at ParcPlace Systems (the people who sell and
support PS - Xerox's supported version of Smalltalk) and they hinted that
a fully supported version will be available for the Mac II.  I doubt it will
be available until the fall (but then, how many will have Mac II's before
then...).  The price of PS for the Suns is $5000 for non-educational
customers and $500 for colleges/univ.  So if that is any indication, I
would expect the price to be similar.
--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (04/28/87)

In article <239@trwspf.TRW.COM>, vito@trwspf.TRW.COM (Herb Barad) writes:
> I have talked to some people at ParcPlace Systems (the people who sell and
> support PS - Xerox's supported version of Smalltalk) and they hinted that
> a fully supported version will be available for the Mac II.

I was going to pass this gossip to the Smalltalk conference on Bix.
But it turns out that Kurt Schmucker (author of the book on o-o
languages and MacApp) also has friends at Xerox/PPS, and his gossip
was at least as good, so instead I'll pass it along

==========================
smalltalk/macst #1, from kschmucker, 1638 chars, Sun Apr 19 11:37:04 1987
There is/are comment(s) on this message.
--------------------------
TITLE: Hot Rumor
  ParcPlace Systems - the Xerox Smalltalk spinoff - has
ported their PS Smalltalk interpreter to the Mac Plus.  The
standard Smalltalk benchmarks rate the result at 26% of a
Dorado.

  The ParcPlace PS interpreter is currently rated as the
fastest Smalltalk interpreter available.  On the Sun 3 it
beats the current Dorado implementation. PS is short for
"Peter's Smalltalk" after the chief designer, Peter Deutsch.

  ParcPlace is currently deciding how to market this product.
One option being considered is to market a low-end version
without a lot of goodies and without support for $100 or so, and
to co-market a fully-supported version with many goodies for
somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 - $500.  Another version
of this product for the Mac II - taking full advantage of the
68020 instruction set - would probably also be in the price range
of $300 - $500.  Hopes are that the Mac II product would benchmark
around 50% of a Dorado or better.

  The ParcPlace product would be the current Smalltalk image with
multiple inheritance, pluggable views, etc. which are missing from
the earlier image that is the basis of the Apple Smalltalk product.
Presumably, when the current standardization effort on the contents
of the new image (called Image 3, or VI3) are finished, the ParcPlace
Macintosh product would be based on that new image.  The Apple
product, because of legal reasons, will probably NOT convert over to
the newer image.

  Should the ParcPlace Macintosh product come about, the
portability of Smalltalk goodies from other machines like
the Sun or the  Tektronix would be significantly enhanced.

==========================
smalltalk/macst #4, from kschmucker, 261 chars, Fri Apr 24 00:00:11 1987
--------------------------
No release data for the ParcPlace Smalltalk for the Mac.  On the space
question, it will be abut that of the current Apple release: about
2 megs of disk space required for the sources, interpreter, and virgin
image.  About 800K or so for each additional image.

--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

mdr@reed.UUCP (04/29/87)

The MacSmalltalk v0.4 from APDA is apparently going to be available
in about 6 weeks.  It will run on all of the Macs with more than 1Mbyte
of memory and the MacII apparently checks in at about 0.6 of a Dorado
using the standard benchmarks.

v0.4 is a small object-space interpreter (32k objects?) and it sounds
like Apple is not planning to publicly release its lot-of-objects
version of the interpreter.  Hmm... maybe we should all send notes to
the powers within Apple encouraging them to make MacSmalltalk into a
real product - prodding might help.

Mike

Hmmm... We just got a Mac Plus for our research reactor.
        Maybe I could try using Smalltalk for some real-time control.
		How about:  controlRods <- nil.

p.s. I am just kidding about using the Mac for *any* type of control
in case anyone is wondering.  It makes a great Telnet machine though.
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/774-9192