[comp.sys.mac] How to Change MS WORD 3.0 Menu Names?

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (04/23/87)

Help! Help! Help!

I want to change the menu names in MS Word 3.0.

Why? Because they are too long, and since I have a clock and other MENU
titles in the MenuBar, things are getting too close for comfort.

How would I normally proceed? Use ResEdit or REdit, open up MENU resource
etc.

The problem: MicroSoft tricked us, and they put all the CODE in one place
in the resource file. I believe it's called PCOD, ID=2, and it is big! Its
size is 310818 bytes. Thus I cannot open it within ResEdit or REdit. Disk
editors aren't good for this. Though I can use them, say Fedit Plus, to read
the stuff, I can't change the code because I cannot shorten words with disk
editors, unless I want to screw up the stuff. Am I right?

The solution: (Well guys, here comes your input).

P.S. Hi MicroSoft, are you listening? I will appreciate your help!

      * *             * *          |  * *             * *             *
     *   *           *   *         | *   *           *   *           *
    *     *         *     *        |*     *         *     *         *
---*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*---
  *         *     *         *     *|        *     *         *     *
 *           *   *           *   * |         *   *           *   *
*             * *             * *  |          * *             * *

	    Triple Cheers for Pafnuty Lvovitch Tschebyscheff !!!

      (alias Cebyshev, Chebishev, Chebyshev, Csebisov, Tschebysev etc.)

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.uucp (PREFERRED)
Department of Mathematics                 nevai-p@osu-eddie.uucp
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-614-292-5688

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <236@osupyr.UUCP>, pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:

> The problem: MicroSoft tricked us, and they put all the CODE in one
> place in the resource file. I believe it's called PCOD, ID=2, and it
> is big! Its size is 310818 bytes. Thus I cannot open it within ResEdit
> or REdit. Disk editors aren't good for this. Though I can use them,
> say Fedit Plus, to read the stuff, I can't change the code because I
> cannot shorten words with disk editors, unless I want to screw up the
> stuff. Am I right?

Ditto!  I'm used to making my own key equivalents for everything
(in this particular case, I use `page setup' and `hyphenate' a lot,
but there's no key equivalent for them in the new Word); I also
customize a lot of other things (just for grins), but I can't make any
changes with these damn PCODs.  Is there any way around this?

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (04/24/87)

>Help! Help! Help!
>
>I want to change the menu names in MS Word 3.0.
>Though I can use say Fedit Plus, to read the stuff, I can't change the code
>because I cannot shorten words with disk editors, unless I want to screw up
>the stuff. Am I right?

Well, you're technically right, the string lengths should remain the same to
be really sure. However, some strings have a length byte in front of the chars,
and changing this should make things work OK. Even if you can't change the
string lengths, you might make shorter names with trailing spaces to fill the
string. This will help some, because the menu bar is displayed in Chicago which
is a variable character width font. Thus, the trailing spaces will be shorter,
but not as much shorter as if they didn't exist.

You can complain that Microsoft "didn't do it right" by not using MENU resour-
ces, but then look closely at how they are wildly changing those menus dynam-
ically and you will understand. It should make internationalizing their program
more difficult for someone, though. Maybe this is a weak point of the resource
concept? (There - that should be ground for a holy war!)

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

marcus@weyl.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Marcus) (04/24/87)

re the complaints about not being able to use resedit on large resources:
	use derez or it's Rmaker counterpart
	mat marcus
	ucbvax!brahms!marcus
	marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu

dwb@apple.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <1436@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>You can complain that Microsoft "didn't do it right" by not using MENU resour-
>ces, but then look closely at how they are wildly changing those menus dynam-
>ically and you will understand. It should make internationalizing their program
>more difficult for someone, though. Maybe this is a weak point of the resource
>concept? (There - that should be ground for a holy war!)
	Then again, the problem would have been solved for all concerned
	by using STR# or STR resources.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (04/28/87)

>>You can complain that Microsoft "didn't do it right" by not using MENU resour-
>>ces, but then look closely at how they are wildly changing those menus dynam-
>>ically and you will understand. It should make internationalizing their program
>>more difficult for someone, though. Maybe this is a weak point of the resource
>>concept? (There - that should be ground for a holy war!)
>	Then again, the problem would have been solved for all concerned
>	by using STR# or STR resources.

Yes, that's true and has been pointed out to me by several kindly folks. It is
better. BUT, what if joe user wants to change the keyboard equivalents (not that
ANY are available in MS Word 3.0 :-) )? Or wants to change the style of one of
the menu items, or add an icon, or any of the other variables that the original
MENU resource gives control over?

Perhaps if someone actually pointed out to Microsoft that there is a set of
Macintosh User Interface Guidelines they would lay off with the collections of
assembled quirks they use for interfaces. I like their program, but it really
seens like it belongs on a PC or something else out of the last decade . . .

dwb@apple.UUCP (Dave W. Berry) (04/30/87)

In article <1446@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>	Then again, the problem would have been solved for all concerned
>>	by using STR# or STR resources.
>
>Yes, that's true and has been pointed out to me by several kindly folks. It is
>better. BUT, what if joe user wants to change the keyboard equivalents (not that
>ANY are available in MS Word 3.0 :-) )? Or wants to change the style of one of
>the menu items, or add an icon, or any of the other variables that the original
>MENU resource gives control over?
	That would also be solvable using the STR resource if the program
	used the standard functions to get things into the menu.  For instance
	the string "Open.../O;New/N;Save/S;(-;Quit/Q" adds a menu with
	Command O, N, S, and Q in all the expected places.  Styles and
	icons can be added in similar manners.  Although the user has
	to know a little bit more about what's going on behind his back.