[comp.sys.mac] Please Help !!!!

uggora@sunybcs.UUCP (04/24/87)

Please help me !

        I have a lot of Macdraw files which I have to use them within
these few days ( very soon). Today, when I tried to print them out, I noticed
thAT  ALL of the files have changed. All of fonts that I used in the files have
changed to the ones that I didn't want. I didn't do any things with these files
at all since my last changes sometimes ago. At that time all fonts in these file
still as I wanted them to be.

        How this is happened ? (even if with my BACKUP files ) What I can do
to change them back to the original without going to make change at every
single line/word in those files.
        If they cannot be done, what can I do in order to make sure that
in the future it won't happen like these again ?

        Please help !, I really run out of time to fix these files.

        Please ! Please ! Please !

        Michael Gora

ZZZ
ZZZ

briand@tekig4.UUCP (04/27/87)

>        I have a lot of Macdraw files which I have to use them within
>these few days ( very soon). Today, when I tried to print them out, I noticed
>thAT  ALL of the files have changed. All of fonts that I used in the files have
>changed to the ones that I didn't want.

This is a known "feature" of MacDraw, which stores text information with the
notation of which font within the system was used. That means, for example,
that it doesn't remember that you used Geneva, but that you used whatever font
occurs "second" (whatever that means) within the resources of your System file.

If you can remember the exact system you used to create these files, you might
be able to recreate the fonts in their order. Perhaps if you've simply added
a few fonts since you made these files, you could try just deleting the new
ones. Good luck. If you have a copy of that system file, you're home free. If
all else fails and you can remember the fonts you used originally, it probably
won't take TOO much time to change them back by hand - select the text and
choose the font, and remember that many may be selected at once.

A final tip - if you save all MacDraw files as PICT files, this problem does
not occur. See the save dialog box.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

grenley@nsc.UUCP (04/28/87)

To Mr Gora, with the MacDraw font change mystery:
Sounds to me like you found the bug wherein MacDraw uses the position
of the font, not the font ID, to select the Font.
Solution:  Go back to the system file you were using when you drew them,
or:	1. Note position of 'wrong' font in menu.
	2. remove it and all fonts 'below' it.
	3. Add font you want.
	4. Add rest of fonts.

If you were using several fonts, and they've all changed, I think you're
stuck...

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <sunybcs.3113> uggora@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Gora) writes:

>Please help me !
>
>        I have a lot of Macdraw files which I have to use them within
>these few days ( very soon). Today, when I tried to print them out, I noticed
>thAT  ALL of the files have changed. All of fonts that I used in the files have
>changed to the ones that I didn't want. I didn't do any things with these files
>at all since my last changes sometimes ago. At that time all fonts in these file
>still as I wanted them to be.
>
>        How this is happened ? (even if with my BACKUP files ) What I can do
>to change them back to the original without going to make change at every
>single line/word in those files.
>        If they cannot be done, what can I do in order to make sure that
>in the future it won't happen like these again ?

The reason that this has happened is that Macdraw keeps the
font information as the font position in the menu.
This causes problems if you change to a new system.
The only help that I can give is to use the same system that you
created the docs with.  I know this is a pain,  but we live with
it.
The alternative is to try and set up your new system with the same fonts

that you had in your old one.

Good Luck.

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (04/29/87)

/* Written  8:14 pm  Apr 23, 1987 by uggora@sunybcs.UUCP in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

>        I have a lot of Macdraw files which I have to use them within
>these few days ( very soon). Today, when I tried to print them out, I noticed
>thAT  ALL of the files have changed. All of fonts that I used in the files have
>changed to the ones that I didn't want. I didn't do any things with these files
>at all since my last changes sometimes ago. At that time all fonts in these file
>still as I wanted them to be.

It is well-known (and loved) that MacDraw incorrectly stores fonts
by which line number it occupies in the font menu.  In other words, if you
install a new font, or examine a document on a system with different fonts
installed, it will display the text in whatever font sits in the same slot you
used on your system.

So what's the cure?  When you save your files in MacDraw, _always_ use
the PICT format.  It will end this problems, as well as a few other
subtle problems with the Draw format.

----
                 Dan Crimmins                    crimmins@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
            University of Illinois               {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!
  Computing Services Office - Micro Consulting        uiucdcs!uiucuxc!crimmins

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (04/30/87)

In article <3113@sunybcs.UUCP> uggora@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Gora) writes:

>        I have a lot of Macdraw files which I have to use them within
>these few days ( very soon). Today, when I tried to print them out, I noticed
>thAT  ALL of the files have changed. All of fonts that I used in the files have
>changed to the ones that I didn't want. I didn't do any things with these files
>at all since my last changes sometimes ago. At that time all fonts in these
>file still as I wanted them to be.

It is not your documents that have changed, but the system you are running.
MacDraw has a singularly stupid mechanism for identifying the font used in a
given text object, such that changing the fonts in the system will confuse it.

The only way to recover the documents without re-editing them is to put
together a system that has EXACTLY the same font set installed as the one you
used when you created the document.  If you can't manage this, I know of no
alternative but to re-edit each document.  If only one font was used in a given
document, you can do a SELECT ALL within that document and then change the font;
this works, even though it doesn't appear to have worked (sometimes).  If you
have used several fonts within one document, you will have to change text
objects individually.

To prevent this happening in the future, keep a MacDraw-only system around with
the set of fonts you want to use.  If you need to change it, KEEP A COPY OF THE
OLD ONE, and use the INFO window of each document to record which system was
used to create it.

--
Robert Stanley             decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts
                    Voice: (613) 738-1440 (on EST) Tuesdays only