[comp.sys.mac] "Stepping Out" demo

matthews@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Dave Matthews) (05/04/87)

> Subject: Re:  more RE: Stepping Out
> > Subject: Stepping Out DEMO from Berkeley Systems Designs
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are those the same people who created UNIX BSD?  If so then Stepping Out is
> probably a good product.

Don't know.  For what it's worth, the demo is very professional-looking and
their address is
1708 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley CA 94709
(415)540-5537

Functionality-wise, I'm finding it a bit awkward.  I'm used to being able to
throw the mouse around without worrying about the cursor hitting the edge of
the screen.  Except in WriteNow, which scrolls horizontally if you bang into
the sides.  Stepping Out does the same thing, but vertically too and instead
of scrolling in the window, it MOVES the window (,the menu bar, etc: the
whole screen).  VERY quickly.  This isn't very useful in applications that
don't support large windows (VersaTerm, where I am right now, f'rinstance),
but I can't wait to try it in MacDraw.

    -- Dave Matthews
                                                  In real life: anonymous
    ARPA:  matthews@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
    USENET:...{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!tcgould!matthews
    BELL: 607-533-7820  DISCL: My employer ignores my opinions altogether.

klein%gravity@Sun.COM (Mike Klein) (05/05/87)

In article <879@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> matthews@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (Dave Matthews) writes:
> Subject: Re:  more RE: Stepping Out
> > Subject: Stepping Out DEMO from Berkeley Systems Designs
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are those the same people who created UNIX BSD?  If so then Stepping Out is
> probably a good product.

Huh?  The BSD in "UNIX x.xBSD" stands for Berkeley Software Distribution, and
it comes from the University of California at Berkeley's Computer Science
Division, which is definitely not the same thing as Berkeley Systems Designs.
I presume, although I'm guessing, that Berkeley Systems Designs is riding
on the coattails of the well-known "BSD" initials.
--
Mike Klein		klein@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.	{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!klein

munson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (05/05/87)

> Subject: Re:  more RE: Stepping Out
> > Subject: Stepping Out DEMO from Berkeley Systems Designs
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are those the same people who created UNIX BSD?  If so then Stepping Out is
> probably a good product.

Unfortunately for them, Berkeley Systems Designs did not create 4.x bsd
UNIX (trademark of AT&T, etc.).  bsd UNIX was designed here at the
UC Berkeley CS Division.  The system has never been farmed out to a
corporation, as many university generated products are.  It is possible
that some people in Berkeley Systems Designs came from the CS program
here, but I don't think any of the really well known Berkeley graduates
are there.

Ethan Munson
CS Graduate Student, UCB
munson@ernie.berkeley.edu