[comp.sys.mac] RSG 3.0 versus Laserprep 3.3

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/04/87)

I talked last week to the Letraset people about the bugs I've seen with
Ready Set Go 3.0 (as an aside, the tech support person didn't want to admit
the program existed until he had my serial number.  I was eventually able to
convince him to talk to me by promising to not ask questions that might
require tech support services. I was not amused....).

Users of RSG 3 should know that there are TWO releases of RSG 3.0.  The
original release in November had a number of bugs in it all over the place.
A later release in December fixes them as well as releasing a new and
improved dictionary (for their almost useless spell checker).  If you have
the November release (I do -- check by doing a Get Info on the application
and checking the date) you need to call their 800 number (have your serial
number ready!) about setting things up to return your master disk for
updating.

He also told me that Postscript blocks do not work with Laserprep 3.3 DUE TO
BUGS IN LASERPREP, and that Apple would be releasing a fixed laserprep in
about 30 days.  Laserprep 3.3 is the latest release, shipped with the SE,
and the release I happen to be running.

This is the first I've heard of bugs in the Laserprep, and frankly, I'm not
sure if Letraset is covering itself or if there ARE bugs in laserprep. Can
anyone enlighten me?  Should I really downgrade back to 3.2?

Now, where did I put that master disk? (mutter)

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		[I don't read flames]

There is no statute of limitations on stupidity

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) (05/05/87)

> I talked last week to the Letraset people about the bugs I've seen with
> Ready Set Go 3.0 (as an aside, the tech support person didn't want to admit
> the program existed until he had my serial number.  I was eventually able to
> convince him to talk to me by promising to not ask questions that might
> require tech support services. I was not amused....).

I wasn't too thrilled about the attitude of the tech support guy when I
called, either.  However, it did take me only one try on the phone, as
I knew about the upgrade but lacked the details on doing it.  I got it in
about three weeks, strangely in a box about 9X14 inches (mighty light).

> Users of RSG 3 should know that there are TWO releases of RSG 3.0.  The
> original release in November had a number of bugs in it all over the place.
> A later release in December fixes them as well as releasing a new and
> improved dictionary (for their almost useless spell checker).  If you have
> the November release (I do -- check by doing a Get Info on the application
> and checking the date) you need to call their 800 number (have your serial
> number ready!) about setting things up to return your master disk for
> updating.
>
> He also told me that Postscript blocks do not work with Laserprep 3.3 DUE TO
> BUGS IN LASERPREP, and that Apple would be releasing a fixed laserprep in
> about 30 days.  Laserprep 3.3 is the latest release, shipped with the SE,
> and the release I happen to be running.
>
> This is the first I've heard of bugs in the Laserprep, and frankly, I'm not
> sure if Letraset is covering itself or if there ARE bugs in laserprep. Can
> anyone enlighten me?  Should I really downgrade back to 3.2?
> chuq

Hm! so that's the problem!  I remember the first time I tried Postscript
blocks WAS with 3.3, I got nothing, but figured I had just mistyped
something and didn't stay to check it out (the meter was running).  The
next time the meter wasn't running, and both demos worked without a hitch
first time, as did an improvisation -- but this was with 3.2.  As a
childhood friend used to say, "Golly Gee Whiz!"  My earlier report to
this net that the culprit was indeed alive seems to have been half
exaggerated.  RSG is nice, but it has some strange bugs...my guess is
that the problem is with the Manhattan Graphics lads & lassies, rather
than our redoubtable and error free Apple crew...But I wouldn't put
money on it.

--
Jeff Myers: University of Wisconsin Law School
AppleLink:  UG0122 (Mad Mac User Group)        MadMacBBS: (608) 221-8007

dwb@apple.UUCP (Dave W. Berry) (05/05/87)

In article <1473@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@uwwircs.UUCP (Jeff Myers) writes:
>> This is the first I've heard of bugs in the Laserprep, and frankly, I'm not
>> sure if Letraset is covering itself or if there ARE bugs in laserprep. Can
>> anyone enlighten me?  Should I really downgrade back to 3.2?
>> chuq
>
>Hm! so that's the problem!  I remember the first time I tried Postscript
>blocks WAS with 3.3, I got nothing, but figured I had just mistyped
>something and didn't stay to check it out (the meter was running).  The
>next time the meter wasn't running, and both demos worked without a hitch
>first time, as did an improvisation -- but this was with 3.2.  As a
>childhood friend used to say, "Golly Gee Whiz!"  My earlier report to
>this net that the culprit was indeed alive seems to have been half
>exaggerated.  RSG is nice, but it has some strange bugs...my guess is
>that the problem is with the Manhattan Graphics lads & lassies, rather
>than our redoubtable and error free Apple crew...But I wouldn't put
>money on it.
	I don't know about 3.3 or 3.2.  4.0 (the one distributed with
System 4.1/Finder 5.4 (ie., the "Universal" system) works just fine.
It's also considerably faster for most other operations.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi