[comp.sys.mac] ??: Launching other application fr

naresh@orstcs2.UUCP (04/25/87)

Can somebody tell me , how can I launch a new application from a application?
I am using LightSpeed Pascal. My program does not require old application to
be resident in memory.
I know that there is a launch procedure but it can only be used in assembly
lang.

Has anybody tried doing this in higher level level language? Or mixing
assembly lang. with Pascal code.

I would appreciate helping me out with this problem. This is the last problem
I have to fix before I can get my MSCS. Thanks in advance you smart folks.

Naresh Gupta
naresh@oregon-state.csnet
..!orstcs!naresh

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <216800018@orstcs2> naresh@orstcs2.cs.ORST.EDU writes:

>Can somebody tell me , how can I launch a new application from a application?
>I am using LightSpeed Pascal. My program does not require old application to
>be resident in memory.
>I know that there is a launch procedure but it can only be used in assembly
>lang.

One of the LS Pascal example programs (I think this is in the editor example,
but don't have a copy of it handy) showed how to do this.  I tried
putting the code into a Turbo Pascal program that I wanted to add
a transfer to, and it worked fine.  You use about 10 lines of setup that
puts the appropriate data on the stack by passing it to a dummy
subroutine, and a subroutine that consists of an inline statement.

--
Rick Keir -- one floor up from the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick