[comp.sys.mac] MS Fortran Math from Lightspeed Pascal

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (05/05/87)

I am about to start writing code to make it possible to call
MS Fortran's floating-point math routines from Lightspeed Pascal
(or any other, for thatmatter). I'm doing this because MS Fortran's
math is about a factor of 10 faster than SANE is (on a regular Mac).

Before I start coding, I thought I'd ask the net to see if anyone's
done this. Has anyone? If I get this working, I'll publish the
results (Pascal and/or C interfaces, most likely), but I
do not want to reinvent the wheel.

		--Rich

Richard M. Siegel
Materials Characterization Instrumentation Section
Mail Stop 231
NASA/Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia 23665
(804) 865-3036

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer? I don't even KNOW 'er!

wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <AUbWBNy00UhTyGo0BW@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>I am about to start writing code to make it possible to call
>MS Fortran's floating-point math routines from Lightspeed Pascal
>(or any other, for thatmatter). I'm doing this because MS Fortran's
>math is about a factor of 10 faster than SANE is (on a regular Mac).

 true, but what about the accuracy of the routines - does anyone know
what tradeoff's were made to get the speed ?  I'd want to know that
first - especially in the transcendetal routines, etc. Also, can the
environment be altered and monitored as in SANE ?

I'd really be interested in the answers to these (there are several
LSP programs I have the would love to be an order of magnitude faster!!)
Any kind soul that would post and/or email the answers would have my
eternal (or at least until Friday) gratitude...

Bill
B. Bauldry           wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP or whatever
Dept of Math Sci
Appalachian State U