[comp.sys.mac] Hyperdrive 20 and System 4?

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) (05/06/87)

Does anyone  running  an  internal  20  megabyte  Hyperdrive on a
Mac-Plus have any  experience  transitioning to System 4.0/Finder
5.4?

I'm  just  a  bit   wary  of  "touching"  the  hyperdrive  system
software...

Thanks,

Jeff Harrow

Work address:
ARPAnet:	HARROW%EXODUS.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
Usenet:		decwrl!exodus.dec.com!harrow        or
                {allegra,Shasta,decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-exodus!harrow
Easynet:	EXODUS::HARROW
Telephone:	(617)264-5128
USPS:		Digital Equipment Corp.
		Mail stop: BXB1-2/E02
		85 Swanson Road
		Boxboro, MA  01719

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/08/87)

In article <9726@decwrl.DEC.COM>, harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE BXB1-2/E02 DTN=293-5128) writes:
> Does anyone  running  an  internal  20  megabyte  Hyperdrive on a
> Mac-Plus have any  experience  transitioning to System 4.0/Finder
> 5.4?
> Jeff Harrow

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

I tried it.  Apart from an occasional bomb here and there, it seemed to run
fine.

Then I noticed the Macintosh was really having memory problems.  Big time.
I could mount maybe one drawer and then I would get an out of memory problem
when I tried to mount the next one.

Went back to the old system.  No dice.  Backed up everything.  Great.
Reformatted the hard disk.  20 meg free.  Put in the old system.  Fine.
Went to my backups.  They refused to read.  Exit, about 17 megabytes of
applications and documents.  The Mac almost got used as a gravity test device
that night.

Really.  Wait until GCC gets it's manure collected and says it's okay.
--
"I don't want to be rich                  Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 I just want to be wonderful."