[comp.sys.mac] Damaged XT 40 directory

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) (05/05/87)

Need: 		Help! Help! Help!

Patient: 	my XP* 40 (with about 30M stuff on it)

Symptoms:   	(1)  Doesn't always boot properly.
		(2)  Starting applications and copying files sometimes takes
		     an unexpectedly long period of time.
		(3)  DiskAid cannot recognize it, it keeps declaring that
		     "this is not an HFS volume".

Diagnosis:	The directory is damaged. (Am I right ???)

Cure #1:	DiskExpress.

Result:		DiskExpress didn't help.

Cure #2:	Rebuild DeskTop.

Result:		Didn't work.

THE REAL Cure:	???

P.S.		I'd like to fix my XP* 40 without reinitializing it.

      * *             * *          |  * *             * *             *
     *   *           *   *         | *   *           *   *           *
    *     *         *     *        |*     *         *     *         *
---*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*---
  *         *     *         *     *|        *     *         *     *
 *           *   *           *   * |         *   *           *   *
*             * *             * *  |          * *             * *

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.uucp (PREFERRED)
Department of Mathematics                 nevai-p@osu-eddie.uucp
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-614-292-5688

sbb@esquire.UUCP (05/06/87)

In article <279@osupyr.UUCP> pgn@.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:
>Patient: 	my XP* 40 (with about 30M stuff on it)
>
>Symptoms:   	(1)  Doesn't always boot properly.
>		(2)  Starting applications and copying files sometimes takes
>		     an unexpectedly long period of time.
>		(3)  DiskAid cannot recognize it, it keeps declaring that
>		     "this is not an HFS volume".
>
>Diagnosis:	The directory is damaged. (Am I right ???)
>
>THE REAL Cure:	???

Run out and buy MacZap.  When it comes, throw out MacZap Tools and MacZap Copy
(with the user-interfaces from hell), but run MacZap Recover HFS.  It's the
ONLY thing that helped my XP20, which had similar problems a while ago.  I got
it from The Saving Zone (800-248-0800) for about $40 and have never regretted
it.  I don't know what it does, I don't know how it does it, but it WORKS!

- Steve

P.S.  Let us know if this helps; I'm sure others will have/have had similar
problems with their HDs.

lzulch@cdp.UUCP (05/07/87)

SuperMac has an ever-expanding tech support staff and they are quite
good.  They just moved and tech support has a new direct number (they
may still be reached through the old main switchboard #, too) that is
(415) 964-9690.  I hope you are backed up with DiskFit!

Larry Zulch, Dantz Software Development

Disclaimer: our only connection with SuperMac is that they publish our
program and put it on every drive they sell.  The royalties from that
pay the rent.  At least I am my own employer so I guess I have to take
responsibility for what I say.

lzulch@cdp.UUCP (05/08/87)

SuperMac has an ever-expanding tech support staff and they are quite
good.  They just moved and tech support has a new direct number (they
may still be reached through the old main switchboard #, too) that is
(415) 964-9660.  I hope you are backed up with DiskFit!