[comp.sys.mac] Patch for Font/DA Mover wanted

kleef@ark.cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (04/27/87)

I believe it was posted earlier, but I can't seem to find
the original posting. Sorry :)

Could someone please post or mail me the patch that could be
applied to F/Da Mover *3.4* to allow more than
15 DA's to put in the system? I do have a patched
version 3.2, but that one hates my system 4.0/Finder 5.4.

Thanx!

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) (04/29/87)

In article <989@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@ark.cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>I believe it was posted earlier, but I can't seem to find
>the original posting. Sorry :)
>
>Could someone please post or mail me the patch that could be
>applied to F/Da Mover *3.4* to allow more than
>15 DA's to put in the system? I do have a patched
>version 3.2, but that one hates my system 4.0/Finder 5.4.
>
>Thanx!

Mail me a disk, and I'll send you the patched Font/DA mover, v. 3.4.

(I posted the patch but I don't remember it anymore.)

      * *             * *          |  * *             * *             *
     *   *           *   *         | *   *           *   *           *
    *     *         *     *        |*     *         *     *         *
---*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*---
  *         *     *         *     *|        *     *         *     *
 *           *   *           *   * |         *   *           *   *
*             * *             * *  |          * *             * *

	    Triple Cheers for Pafnuty Lvovitch Tschebyscheff !!!

      (alias Cebyshev, Chebishev, Chebyshev, Csebisov, Tschebysev etc.)

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.uucp (PREFERRED)
Department of Mathematics                 nevai-p@osu-eddie.uucp
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.                1-614-292-5688

andyc@omepd.UUCP (04/29/87)

I, too, would like the patches to the 3.4 version of the DA/Font mover.

Thanks,
	Andy Crump

kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) (05/01/87)

In article <621@omepd> andyc@omepd.UUCP (Andy Crump) writes:

>I, too, would like the patches to the 3.4 version of the DA/Font mover.
>
>Thanks,
>	Andy Crump

I received the patch-information on a Dutch Mac-BBS.
To patch a F/Da Mover so it can shove more than
15 DA's up your system is:

Use any file-editor to look for:

001A 5E

and change it into:

002F 5E

That's all!

sarrel@osu-eddie.UUCP (Marc Sarrel) (05/04/87)

In article <991@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>In article <621@omepd> andyc@omepd.UUCP (Andy Crump) writes:
>>I, too, would like the patches to the 3.4 version of the DA/Font mover.
>I received the patch-information on a Dutch Mac-BBS.
>To patch a F/Da Mover so it can shove more than
>15 DA's up your system is:
>Use any file-editor to look for:
>001A 5E
>and change it into:
>002F 5E
My question is, how safe is this procedure?  Does it have any tricky side
effects that I should know about?  Why was the limit of 15 put on in the first
place?
--
Marc Sarrel
CIS Gradual Student			611 Harley Dr. #1

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) (05/04/87)

In article <3490@osu-eddie.UUCP> sarrel@osu-eddie.UUCP (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>In article <991@ark.cs.vu.nl> kleef@cs.vu.nl (Patrick van Kleef) writes:
>>In article <621@omepd> andyc@omepd.UUCP (Andy Crump) writes:
>>>I, too, would like the patches to the 3.4 version of the DA/Font mover.
>>I received the patch-information on a Dutch Mac-BBS.
>>To patch a F/Da Mover so it can shove more than
>>15 DA's up your system is:
>>Use any file-editor to look for:
>>001A 5E
>>and change it into:
>>002F 5E
>My question is, how safe is this procedure?  Does it have any tricky side
>effects that I should know about?  Why was the limit of 15 put on in the first
>place?
>--
>Marc Sarrel
>CIS Gradual Student			611 Harley Dr. #1
>The Ohio State University		Columbus, OH  43202-1835
>..!cb{osgd,att}!osu-eddie!sarrel or sarrel@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet}

Go ahead and read the appropriate paper in Macuser (April or May). It
explains the hows, whys and so forth.

My question to you: How safe is the Mac? How safe is life? etc.

      * *             * *          |  * *             * *             *
     *   *           *   *         | *   *           *   *           *
    *     *         *     *        |*     *         *     *         *
---*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*-------*---
  *         *     *         *     *|        *     *         *     *           *   *           *   * |         *   *           *   *
*             * *             * *  |          * *             * *

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (05/06/87)

In article <3490@osu-eddie.UUCP> sarrel@osu-eddie.UUCP (Marc Sarrel) writes:

>>Use any file-editor to look for:
>>001A 5E
>>and change it into:
>>002F 5E
>My question is, how safe is this procedure?  Does it have any tricky side
>effects that I should know about?  Why was the limit of 15 put on in the first
>place?

You are starting to get into a large and murky area, beyond the obvious one of
'do not patch your original and only version'.  For a first class discussion of
many of these issues, explained in lay terms, consult the April (I believe,
otherwise March) issue of MacUser (I'm certain).  This not only describes the
patches, but discusses what else to do, and what the consequences of doing
them are.

Recently, an INIT floated across the net called 64Slots, which increased the
slots from 48 to 64.  I haven't had cause to use it, so can't swear to its
reliability in everyday usage.  There are also a number of alternatives,
including DoubleApple, which allows you to keep two apple menues.

The limit of 15 was put on because it seemed like a reasonable number from the
total of 48 resource slots (many with allocated functions) to leave a sensible
number for future expansion.  It has never been clear to me why the total was
48 rather than 64, and the appearance of 64Slots indicates that at least one
other person feels the same way.
--
Robert Stanley             decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!roberts
                    Voice: (613) 738-1440 (on EST) Tuesdays only

waldman@husc4.UUCP (05/07/87)

In article 2817, Marc Sarrel asked why the Font/DA mover limited you to 15
DAs in the system file.

The reason is that each DA is considered a device driver
(resource type DRVR), and has a specific ID associated with it.  Apple
has allocated numbers 12 through 26 for DA's, and has reserved 27-31.
Slots 12-26 provide the 15 spots for DAs.  So far, I don't think Apple has
used slots 27-31, so it is safe to add more than 15 DAs, but you never
know what they'll do in the future!
				Ben Waldman
				waldman@husc4.harvard.edu
				...seismo!harvard!husc4!waldman

sl@van-bc.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article <674@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>The limit of 15 was put on because it seemed like a reasonable number from the
>total of 48 resource slots (many with allocated functions) to leave a sensible
>number for future expansion.  It has never been clear to me why the total was
>48 rather than 64, and the appearance of 64Slots indicates that at least one
>other person feels the same way.

Apple allocates a fixed size table to hold the drvr resources called
the unittable. This is kept in the system heap.

Originally it contained 32 entries, each at four bytes. One for each
drive or desk accessory you have.

The Mac+ expanded this to 48 entries.

The 64Slots init resource undoubtedly allocates a 64 entry table.

All in all, on a 1mb systems and extra 64 bytes is going to be missed. On
the older 512k and smaller systems it was probably a reasonable compromise.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532