[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite 4.5 bombs on MacII Help!!!

hsin@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/11/87)

Recently, our lab just got a Mac II.  I tried to boot up the machine with Mac
Plus System 5.1 and try to run MacWrite 4.5.  Then a dialog poped up with a
restart button and error id 10.  I also tried invoke the 4.5 under the System
that came with Mac II and got the same result.  Does anyone out there have the
simular problem?  Is there a newer version of MacWrite that works on Mac II?
Any response will be appreciated.

					Paul C.H. Lin
					Machine Perception Labortory
					CS Department, UCLA

E-Mail address:				U.S. Mail:
hsin@cs.ucla.edu			500 Landfair Ave., Box 75
					LA, CA	90024
					Paul C.H. Lin
					Machine Perception Labortory
					CS Department, UCLA

E-Mail address:				U.S. Mail:
hsin@cs.ucla.edu			500 Landfair Ave., Box 75
					LA, CA	90024

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (05/11/87)

MacWrite uses the TRAP instruction, which has a different size stack frame
on the 68020.  Levco has a patch for the prodigy 4, and of course the
new apple software company (when they get off the ground) will be selling
a correction, improved version.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel if I ever fix news)

dgold@apple.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <5968@shemp.UCLA.EDU> hsin@CS.UCLA.EDU (Paul Chang-Hsin Lin) writes:
>Recently, our lab just got a Mac II.  I tried to boot up the machine with Mac
>Plus System 5.1 and try to run MacWrite 4.5.  Then a dialog poped up with a
>restart button and error id 10.  I also tried invoke the 4.5 under the System
>that came with Mac II and got the same result.  Does anyone out there have the
>simular problem?  Is there a newer version of MacWrite that works on Mac II?
>Any response will be appreciated.

MacWrite 4.5 is incompatible with the 68020 processor, because it uses TRAP
instructions and messes around with exception stack frames.  There will be a
revised version out shortly which works on the 68020.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith